Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"Pulling a Jephthah"

Judges 11:30-34
30 And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”
32 Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the LORD gave them into his hands. 33 He devastated twenty towns from Aroer to the vicinity of Minnith, as far as Abel Keramim. Thus Israel subdued Ammon.
34 When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter.
This qualifies as an uncomfortable passage. I thought for while about what I actually wanted to say about this passage and I did not come up with much so here is a smattering. I will state a few things that run through my head when thinking about this passage.
First, Judges and Joshua compliment one another. So set this passage in its greater context and it makes a great case for the slide into chaos in the time of the judges. It also is then descriptive not prescriptive. (I think more of the Bible is to be learned from then actually replicated, that is my bias, and I think we can learn not to be rash because our gut instinct with this passage is probably the correct one.)
Second, there is an interesting play between the individual and the community (or nation in this case). The individual is given up for the “greater good” (yes that was a Harry Potter reference for those who caught it).
Third, I think the reader is meant to see the connection to the Ten Commandments, specifically do not swear. Swearing is not to be understood as vulgar language or even the use of God’s name, which it later did become and hence the loss of use of God’s name. Swearing is to take an oath upon something greater, thereby to swear by God is binding and one sees the ramifications, in that, as Jephthah is forced to break another commandment by killing. I think this gives weight to a hallowing and reverence to God, who ought not to be seen as malice in this as it is the folly of Jephthah, which causes the problem because God did not ask for this. This then hits a pet peeve where people proclaim all kinds of things “God said” to them. To do this, date that, go here, work there. I find this such crap because unless God actually said this or that one is in the same danger as Jephthah was. I think people who speak in this way pull their own Jephthah’s and I wonder if their circumstances don’t turn out the same as it did for Jephthah. For example, one prematurely states “God told us to get married”, and now 15 years down the road one is lying in the bed he/she made, an uncomfortably bed of marital strife, fighting, regret, and unhappiness. I think I have witness people “pull a Jephthah”.

1 comment:

  1. Silas, I enjoy your blog posts so much I created a blog so I could follow and comment. I am also a little inspired to do some of my own blogging. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete