Monday, February 20, 2012

Stories Collide. Pt. 1

What is reality, what shapes it, and how do I understand my experiences? These questions have been prodding me towards story. Story has been a journey of a thousand miles, begun a long time ago. I grew up a scientific modernist giving lip-service to the possibility of the supernatural, then passing through fundamentalist, and into “biblical”, now I find myself somewhere in a matrix of post-modern/modern/undecided/conglomerate. What I have learned through this development is that the story one lives into shapes all arguments, experience, actions, and epistemology.

I was blessed with a lot of dissonance in my life. I grew up in a “Christian North American” story. It was a story that held to a scientific modernist understanding of the world, but refused to take it to the extreme of excluding the supernatural. This, however, was brutally interrupted by a jaunt to a post-religious/secular/European worldview and story when I lived in England; I was twelve and thirteen years old. The stories clashed, I was too young to understand the significance of such an experience. It is hard to describe the clash of story, they do not battle openly with argumentation that is easy to follow, but a feeling is evident. A feeling of being unsettled. A story is supposed to follow a plot, but when the first story is interrupted and a second story enters in the middle, there is a sense of loss. The flow is incomplete, there is no past and the present seems to have no grounding.

Upon returning to North America, I attempted to pick up my old story, but it was now disjointed. One attempts to reconcile the themes, motifs, and symbols of a different story. It was with this muddled story I entered Bible College. Little did I know I was about to disturb my story in unimaginable ways. Coming from the Christian Reformed Story, I entered the Anabaptist Story. I attempted to “argue” the stories, but I ran into the same problem as before, stories do not respond well to argument. They are different with different pasts. Instead, stories syncretise, usually to the detriment of both. Stories have a funny way of picking the worst of both, rather than the best. It is not that the best parts cannot come together to make a better story, but that takes active participation by the character (you and me). I saw an example of bad syncretism in East Africa where Christianity comes with consumerism, modernity, and hyper-spirituality, but does not get rid of the tribalism, thus blending the negatives (tribalism, consumerism, and modernity) and the positive seem negligible (loyalty, direction, hope). Similar awful syncretism led me to a brief period as a fundamentalist. I syncretised the scientific absolutism of modernism with the Bible. It resulted with a “data quest” into the Bible. I attempted to pull out the absolutes. (This is my critique of Systematic Theology, even when not “fundamentalist”, it is a syncretism of a scientific method with a story. It does not ask the questions of the story, rather it imposes the questions of another story – Greek influenced scientific thought – onto the biblical story).

In reaction to fundamentalism, I attempted to become a purist. For a few years, I attempted to understand the biblical story, attempting to read it on its own terms. This was going well, but then I went to East Africa. This cross-cultural experience rattled my “bible only” conception of truth and reality. The “same” Christian stories clashed, this shook my naïve understanding that one’s private experience is able to arrive at a purist Biblical understanding. Rather one’s private experience and story will completely subvert the entire story. Our private experiences ultimately determine our stories, what flows in and that which is discarded. I came to this conclusion as I sat across from another reading the same text, we both claimed it as authoritative, and we would come to completely different understandings, each significantly shaped by our cultures. The common ground seemed negligible compared to the differences. Everything is relative. Thus ended my purist pursuit.

Where does one go from complete relativity? N.T. Wright goes to critical realism, a noble option, but a method still rooted in a Greek history. Others walk forward into post-modernity with their arm open come what may. Yet others revert, either back into modernity, fundamentalism and its syncretism, or even to a pre-modern-esque type of understanding. This is the crossroads many of us encounter; it is a crossroad I continue to navigate. It is here Story becomes significant. Newbigin’s book “The Gospel in a Pluralist Society” argues for the church as the agent telling the Gospel story and thus persuading the world. Here Duncan’s articulation of Gospel becomes incredibly important; for if Gospel is a part of the story it can be persuasive and syncretised into our stories becoming a story changer. However, if it is a coercive, totalizing, story it co-opts our stories and leads to bad syncretism.

I am attempting to create some hermeneutics for myself as I wallow through this nebulous crossroad. First, honesty. It does me no good to neglect my past or the biases I know I hold. I must be as honest as possible, lay my cards out and attempt to proceed with all the guidance there. Second, virtue. What do I want to become? What do I want my story to look like? Here I lay down my card of compassion. If it is not compassionate, I ought to consider alternatives. Third, story. I must continually remind myself not to argue myself into the “correct” option, because by doing so I have already been co-opted by one story, that of rational argumentation arising out of the modernist era I grew up in (thus following the first hermeneutic). I must continually open myself to persuasion. What story persuades me to follow hermeneutic two? Fourth, keep the biblical text as authoritative. Thus, as the stories blend together I want the narrative of scripture to have significant weight, specifically life, death, and resurrection, as living, dying, and rising throughout my life, even daily, and hopefully in the cosmos, lead me towards greater compassion (hermeneutic two). Fifth, choose wisely. The ability to choose, to choose what is authoritative, choosing the story one lives into, choosing to ones hermeneutics, I must choose contemplatively.

With that, I find myself at the point of syncretising stories. None of them can be “taken out” as they have all entered into my story, but I can mix and mould. I can choose the back-story of the Bible. Therefore, I can incorporate the Gospel (as Duncan articulated) into my story. I can affirm the story of modernism, its conclusion, and collapse into post-modernism. I can look relativism in the face and walk forward with the most persuasive story I can compile, given my experience, which includes the Gospel and compassion. Further, when I am confronted with other stories, such as in East-Africa, I can affirm the parts that blend, while persuading the parts that clash. This has significant influence on my thoughts on pluralism, because if I truly believe that the story I tell and the parts I have chosen to incorporate, it is honestly the best possible story and the most persuasive, there is reduced fear of bad syncretism if I choose to tackle it head-on.

Some of those reading this might be more than a little bit uncomfortable with my choice of words, specifically syncretism. But you see, I have no choice but to syncretise if I wanted out of (or to change) my original story. Since I cannot erase my past and my mode of though, remembering my first story was that of a scientific modernist in North America and NOT a first century Jew in Palestine, I must syncretise the stories I encounter. If I want to change story it involves delicate syncretism. Or to use more “Christian” words I might choose “conversion”, understanding conversion to be the continued gradual change of my story into one I desire.

8 comments:

  1. Silas, will you please come to Regent? pretty please. Something I have been learning/realizing this year is how spectacularly disconnected we are, especially as Christian evangelicals, but also just generally regarding our history and the rise and development and historical connectedness that our present reality rises out of. Your recognition of the power and reality of stories that shape our identity and actions is spot on.

    I think that I would want to use the Christian term disciple/discipleship, which highlights the action of learning, and while placing you into a story, simultaneously suggests significant openness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silas

    I'm wondering if you could elaborate a bit on rationality and its link to the modern era within the context of you blog. In my experience with Christian academics, the term seems to thrown around as a catch all phrase pretty much any time the word "argument" or "rationality" comes up. I don't really understand this, given that rationality predates the modern era by a few thousand years (as you allude to with your comment about critical realism having its roots in Greek thought). Even folks like Thomas Aquinas and St Bonaventure display a rationality that parallels the Modern philosophers, and in fact gives rise to many of the concepts later pinned on modernity. Furthermore, any reference (again in Christian academia, not you paper) to modernism seldom references any scholar from the time (Hume, Kant, etc.). In sum, I'm wondering if you think it's possible that we are little over ambitious when we comment on the modern era (as well as premodern/postmodern) and if our conceptions of their individual narratives could use a little clarifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh I think this is very well stated point of clarification. I think Silas' emphasis in this post is on the "absolute" nature of reason in modernity - which is certainly related to the Greeks... What marks off Aquinas, Bonaventure, Anselm, Augustine etc. is not that they are irrational... they are deeply committed to reason. They exhibit "faith seeking understanding." Their world view is rooted in Christian theology and Biblical revelation and ratinal thinking is done in response. In modernity we move into the goal of establishing rational universal epistemological certainty (Descarte)that can be establish a priori from experience. This enlightenment quest has failed there is no such type of certainty.

      So what shifts in these era is not so much rational vs. irrational but the perspective of the limits and abilities of reason and it place of priority in understanding ourselves and our world...

      As post modernity helps establish the limits of reason we are invited to expand and explore other ways of knowing in conjunction with reason.

      Delete
    2. Duncan

      Sorry that I have taken so long to reply! School got heavy and I had to put this on the back burner for a bit.
      I appreciate your elucidation on Silas's words. However, I still feel like I am missing something in my own personal jaunt through postmodernist thinking and its relation to rationality.
      First of all, the influence of story as discussed here makes sense to me. Rational arguments have repeatedly failed to make sense of reality, as is shown by the individual arguments proposed by each of the theologians you have mentioned above. I'm not certain that an absolute proof for the existence of God and how he interacts with the world would be particularly powerful at any rate, given the relative nature of their understanding.
      What I am struggling with is finding any reason to give any story any credence. What is so special about compassion? Why should I accept it as some sort of criteria in a personal hermeneutic, other than that it feels good to practice and also that I like having nice people around?
      More specifically, what does the resurrection have to do with story? I agree that the overall narrative of the gospel seems should hold precedence over its individual scenes, at least in some respect. But how do we go as far as saying the story is more important than resurrection? (Feel free to complete deconstruct that sentence..I realize the notion of importance could reveal an issue in my thinking). It seems to me that the God I believe in and the way he works in the would be completely different if he rises rather than if he stays dead. It also seems to me that the nature of the entire story would be different as well.
      Anyways, that is kind of a rant...maybe I should ponder yours and Silas' respective posts more before I continue.

      Delete
    3. Josh,
      Great to pick this up again. I will attempt a response, noting that I am also still distinctly in the middle of trying to sort some of this stuff out.

      >What I am struggling with is finding any reason to give any story any credence. What is so special about compassion? Why should I accept it as some sort of criteria in a personal hermeneutic, other than that it feels good to practice and also that I like having nice people around?

      The Critical Realist position of NT Wright would argue that the Christian story is given credence because it is rooted in history. So while all stories have value and can be useful or important in teaching or shaping our lives and understanding in as much as they are coherent and provide coherence in our lives and view the world... It is the rootedness in real history that gives the Bible credence. The fact that we like compassionate people and feel good about compassion is what part of what I mean by coherence and is a legitimate part of reasoning this out.

      >what does the resurrection have to do with story? But how do we go as far as saying the story is more important than resurrection?

      It seems like you are making reference to something but I am uncertain what... My initial answer is then as follows: Resurrection is climax of the story. It is the fulcrum on which redemption occurs. It is of incredibly huge importance! Perhaps the most important...BUT it still happens within the story! I do not think this creates a hierarchy of importance though in which we can play story off against resurrection. The tendency to divide, package and prioritize the story is something that I think is problematic. Its a problem not because the resurrection isn't important though but because it is. To compartmentalize story elements like that is, in my mind, to effectively deny or destroy the story because both meaning and power are found in the context.

      Anyway, I am uncertain if this is helpful since I feel like I may be missing at a nuance you are trying to get at. Certainly in the tradition of Nietsche, Foucault, Lyotard, and Derrida the point is precisely that there is no meaning or way of integrating all the little stories of history and persons. And while I love some of the insights and powerful critique and deconstruction of these guys... I think one must say that Christianity claims to integrate stories and people through Jesus, that we are all part of a single unfolding drama and that we must learn to fit our lives into that story...

      Delete
  3. Duncan

    I am guilty of being vague!
    My comments in regards to resurrection are centered around personal discussions I have had with certain friends, but in my mind a good academic correlate would be with the work of Marcus Borg. Admittedly, I have not taken the time to read much of his work and provide a detailed account of it, but he seems to use a story centered approach in his hermeneutic, at least from what I have read (I am sure that what I am saying is at the very least a gross oversimplification). I watched a talk of his in which he continually stressed the point that the empty tomb was a matter of secondary importance, as opposed to the image/idea/concept of resurrection. He then goes on to interpret the road to emmaus passage as a parable whose purpose is to give one a picture of how Christ works in the life of his followers in a spiritually sense, but not as something that actually happened. He also seems to allow for vision type experiences with Christ, but not necessarily physical ones.

    This is all well and good, but I keep wondering why I would affirm any kind of spiritual experience without something like a historical resurrection. I guess my question is where any sort of metaphysic fits into a narrative.

    At this point I can tell I am already starting to become vague again. My purpose is not to affirm the resurrection so I can then go on to affirming all sorts of other acts of God or the Holy Spirit (such as his presence in the conscience of a believer. It just seems to me that the the broader and broader my hermeneutic gets, the less purchase it has on my life. Even if I can affirm that overall narrative leads me towards some sort of compassion, I find myself with very little I can actually say about God or how I can go about interacting with him (This must be the evangelical in me speaking).

    I realize that what I am suggesting is not what you are suggesting (and is certainly not what N.T. Wright would suggest). I'm merely attempting to clarify what I wrote earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Started to write and then it got deleted by mistake...

      I think that as we deconstruct epistemology and our thinking continues to be antifoundational, Marcus Borg makes sense. (although I haven't read him and am only responding to your description)

      History becomes difficult if not impossible to "know" in a way that can provide a foundation for anything in this process... So philosophical and theological projects must root themselves in more present, tangible and "fruitful" foundations... I think this is where we start focussing on the text and ruling questions of history out of the conversation. Ultimately, I would argue, either way there is a faith commitment to begin either way, whether it is I believe in the historical resurrection, or I believe that Scripture reveals "truth" (open for multiple definitions)...

      I would be curious to have you expand the "actually" as per:

      I find myself with very little I can actually say about God or how I can go about interacting with him

      this is where I hear struggling with the a desire for foundation... I think the story offers a ton of answers in a ton of different ways to the question but are you willing to make the story your foundation? Is the story rooted in reality/history? In what fashion? what parts? how do we know? How do we deal with other perspectives/answers? How do we interpret historical and archeological information?

      I think there are leaps of faith throughout these questions and they can be made in different ways... Was Schleiermacher a Christian? probably not by contemporary evangelical standards... But I want to claim him as part of the tribe. How dare we kick anyone who has devoted their who life to Jesus, theology and truth because we disagree? So Marcus Borg is in, but that doesn't mean we have to buy his approach 100%. Scholarship, life, creativity is about the blender and trying to make everything fit, make sense and be drinkable...

      I recently read an article that argue all of Paul's theology is shaped by narrative and argued using coherence rather than foundation (Ian W. Scott). So I think that we are in a good tradition.

      Is any of this helping?

      Delete
  4. Duncan
    I definitely agree with you that Marcus Borg is in. I'm intending to through anybody under the bus here...far be it from me to say that Marcus Borg is not a Christian/Christ seeker/saved/whatever term fits the bill. For all I know he is 100% correct! Maybe he and Crossan are the two prophets from the book of Revelation.

    Kidding.

    I feel as if I am beginning to grasp what you are saying particularly after your second paragraph. I agree that there is a faith commitment either way. I also agree that our grasp on history is tenuous...

    It's hard to express what I'm trying to say. I think much of my discomfort stems from my continued studies in psychology. The thought of relying on a coherent construct created by the human mind frightens me... although I don't think the kind of coherence you are talking about is a purely mental construct, as you clearly affirm the importance of scripture in all of your blogs. As I write this I find it ironic that this began with my seeking of clarification of the role of rationality in our pursuit of the truth.

    This trepidation is most likely why I am hesitant to give up the notion of something "actually happening" so I can say "actual" things, even though I recognize the naivete of that whole proposition.

    At any rate, I must confess that in the following weeks I won't have much time to continue this blog chat! School is busy...I assume the same is true for you. I am already unhappy enough with my responses as is. I follow the blog, and so I am sure we can pick this up at a later date!

    In the meantime, is there any literature you would suggest as required reading in this area?

    ReplyDelete