Thursday, July 28, 2011

CYOA - To Deny or Explain?

Daughter of Jephthah
Judges 11
 29-31 God's Spirit came upon Jephthah. He went across Gilead and Manasseh, went through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there approached the Ammonites. Jephthah made a vow before God: "If you give me a clear victory over the Ammonites, then I'll give to God whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in one piece from among the Ammonites—I'll offer it up in a sacrificial burnt offering."
 32-33 Then Jephthah was off to fight the Ammonites. And God gave them to him. He beat them soundly, all the way from Aroer to the area around Minnith as far as Abel Keramim—twenty cities! A massacre! Ammonites brought to their knees by the People of Israel.
 34-35 Jephthah came home to Mizpah. His daughter ran from the house to welcome him home—dancing to tambourines! She was his only child. He had no son or daughter except her. When he realized who it was, he ripped his clothes, saying, "Ah, dearest daughter—I'm dirt. I'm despicable. My heart is torn to shreds. I made a vow to God and I can't take it back!"

This passage sucks because either you deny child sacrifice, which is good but are perceived to be hand waving or you don't and you have to deal with the ramifications of child sacrifice, which are horrific.

One angle I have heard is that this is a lesson against legalism and that Jephthah should have asked to be released from his vow... for which to some degree there are specifications for in Leviticus 27.

I would be happier with that explanation if we didn't have the story of Abraham being called to sacrifice Isaac as a burnt offering, although clearly no issue of a vow in that case.

So people may ask what was he expecting to come out of a house? The implication appears to be an animal, which is plausible given that animals often lived in the house with the family as they contributed to the heat as well as were too valuable to keep outside without being tended. However, I think it is a fair statement that this is a bad vow to begin with... But it seems initially to be a vow full of faith and trust in God... or is it a vow bent on manipulating God? hmmm... Why does Jephthah need to make a vow? After his long diplomatic speech about God's victory over Balak and Israel's respect of Ammon in the preceding verses, the vow seems to actually betray a lack of faith rather than great faith.

There is something distinctly and spectacularly pagan about this whole story. Our bastard hero is exiled but then returns and and saves the day winning a great battle and the cost of his victory is his only virgin daughter. I would be reasonably happy to say that this is a pagan story attempted to be revised to fit Yahwehism...

But again I would be happier with that explanation if their wasn't this odd theme of child/self sacrifice that runs from Abraham and Isaac and is culminated in Jesus, another "bastard" child and if Jephthah wasn't celebrated as a hero of faith in Hebrew's 11.

39-40 It became a custom in Israel that for four days every year the young women of Israel went out to mourn for the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.

These final verses of the story seem to indicate that it is some sort of explanation for a social tradition.

Some commentators note that the passage ends focused on virginity not death and there is the suggestion that the daughter was not killed but devoted to a life of service as virgin, similar to nuns. This is argued  further based on the fact that the context of the situation does not fit a literal, levitical burnt offering. While clearly, a life of service, similar to Samuel, is preferable to filicide it seems possible to me that the concern with virginity rather than death is actually one and the same given that the Old Testament view is that one lives on through their children. Therefore, being Jephthah's only virgin daughter, her virginity represents the destruction of the entire family.

Sorry everybody I see all of the problems and I don't like it or any of the solutions, I welcome further thoughts...

You reached a dead end and were trapped inside the Pharoah's tomb.

Turn to page 47 if you don't like this ending...

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you can relate Jepthan with Abraham. There are two things the Bible does,
    1) Tell you what happened
    2) Tell you what should happen. Japthen is a story where there are no statements given on how to act. Therefore to come into this with the presuption that the author was using this story as sort of some real life parable is assume he was trying to convay mortality when none was Given.
    I guess you could relate to Abraham but then you would run into a problem because God didn't actually let him go through with it. I don't think God was ever intending to kill Issaac as much as he was trying to show Abraham that he can let his son take God's place in Abramham's life. Jesus said, " Anyone who loves his wife, sons' daughters and father or mother is not worthy of me." Ontop of that God does order the genocide of several other cultures surrounding Israel, who worshiped Molech - a god who demanded child sacfirce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Dan you have offered me the standard explanation for this passage and others similar to it. And its ok but I don't think its enough...

    I don't think there is much of the Bible, if any, that tells you what happened without purpose... things are always written down for a reason... it may be difficult to interpret but it is not just meaningless description. So why this story? What does it mean? What does it teach us? Particularly, when I think there are repetitive Biblical themes in this story I desire a more satisfying explanation and understanding.

    I am arguing that the typical dismissal of passages like this as bad example don't sit well with me given the story of Abraham and the Hebrews 11 reference. Jephthah surely knew about Abraham as he is well versed in Israel's history, therefore when his sovereign God Yahweh, who has just granted him victory brings out his daughter from the house... what is he expected to think? I am suggesting that it is fair to not only read what happened but to place ourselves in the story and explore what people do... I am not suggesting that I think God wanted this girl to die, but where was God? Why did he allow this to happen? Was this judgement? Was this an accident? Why no intervention? And how dare we on the one hand celebrate Abraham and condemn Jephthah? I realize that the text does not say that God spoke, no disagreement. But we must acknowledge that Jephthah would have experienced it as God speaking.

    I have no conclusion about this matter just complaint that I have found no satisfying explanation. I think that it relates to Abraham and I agree that its a problem. I want a solution...

    ReplyDelete