Monday, November 7, 2011

Words and Work

This week as I pondered my existence while driving from a physiotherapy appointment to work, I thought about the power of words. No this is not referring to the child rhymes “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”. I rather thought of how words frame our existence and understanding. They create as well as limit the imagination. They define and explain our realities. In so doing, they have immense power over us.

As I drove, I thought specifically about the words we use to describe employment. The phrase that came into my mind was “I’m so thankful I have been given a job”. The phrase is manipulative and a lie. A job is basically the selling of one’s time and existence for money. I state this in the crassest way I can. Really, the basic job, the selling of oneself for money, is not dissimilar to prostitution of one’s self.

This comes to a head for me when I am told a job is a gift, then in the same breath I hear that gift is the selling of myself. I think such words limit my options, limit my existence, and limit who I am at the very core. So what then shall I say? How can I communicate the action of employment in a better way? How can I be more honest to myself and not segregate my life into little boxes? I think of the Occupy Wall Street protester’s slogan “I quit my job and found an occupation”.

Is it possible to live a holistic life where work does not become a segregated piece, the prostitution of self?

Reflecting on this I think back to one professor’s list of confused priorities. He stated that in our world we all too often worship our work, work at our play, and play at our worship. Maybe beyond being confused all of these categories are a façade that captures our imagination, a façade we are then not able to think out side of. The categories of work, worship, and play seem too ridged. What would it look like to refuse these words their power and imagine economics differently?

I pondered this question for many hours this past summer as I swept concrete dust and carried lumber around a hole, as well as commuting three and a half hours a day to be permitted to do so. I was selling large amounts of time to make a buck, but I really had no other options. I worked as a manual labourer with a bunch of people who knew their existences to be the prostitution of self. When I found out these same people had no moral qualms about the hiring of sex slaves on the weekends it was surprising but not incomprehensible, because their own existence was very similar as they prostituted their physical strength to make money.

What drove these people to live like this? How were they so trapped in a system that they saw no way out? As I listened and observed, I realized they were there for different reasons. Some of them were there out of obligation. They were court ordered to pay child support and they needed a job that would pay enough to do so. Others were there out of necessity, much like me, this was the means to enable life. Still others were there motivated my greed, it was a place where those at the top were driven solely by self-interest and greed. All of these, obligation, necessity, greed, I determined were not worthy motivators.

As I worked as a manual labourer, I followed in my Pake’s (grandfather’s) footsteps. As an immigrant after WWII he attempted farming in Canada. After a few bad years, he, like many others, made his way to the city where he found work on a construction site. For the rest of his life he worked concrete construction as a manual labourer. Now that I was doing the same thing, I wondered what motivated him all those years. I know from stories he never loved the work but did what was necessary. Was he motivated by obligation? Is that really all that pushed him through his entire life, obligation to his family? I hope it was something more. Though I cannot ask him, I would hedge a bet, that if asked what his motivator was, he would have answered, love. Love for his daughters and wife, a sacrificial love given so that his daughters might have a better future. A future that would enable them to live more holistic lives.

How many more times do we need to be trapped by words? How long will we permit our imagination to be limited by the vernacular of a system that promotes segregation of life? I know in my family one generation has already offered sacrificial love to enable a more holistic future. If I continue to life with such segmentation, without challenging the words and ideas that oppress, I spit on the love my Pake displayed? Or for you, do you spit on the love Jesus already displayed, a love that broke barriers, dismantling the segmentation of life?

4 comments:

  1. Working is the highest life form.

    "The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."

    A job is not the selling of ones time, it is a contract to participate in the continuing creation alongside your brothers and sisters here on earth. Without a job you are not participating in mankind's imitation of the father, the cultivation of 'new' in the world. Refusing to participate in the economy because there are sinful stains is a refusal to exist in the world as you were created to.

    When Paul writes to no longer conform to the pattern of the world, his alternate suggestion, the *opposite*, that he presents is a mental state, there is a transformation by the renewing of the mind. Therefore, conforming to the patterns of the world is also likely more mental than physical. In the discussion regarding employment that you present, conforming to the patterns of the world in it's worst sense would be clambering over your fellow human beings in a rat-race for the top rung of a financial or corporate ladder. Having a job and working your ass of at it is not contraindicated. In fact, working and working hard is exactly what you were created for. Fortunately He created you with a mind as well as a body, and so the forms of work that you can do are both physical and mental. That shouldn't be an excuse not to work, rather it should give you an idea of the kind of mental labour that you were created for if your calling is to work with your mind rather than your body. The kind that leaves you exhausted at the day's end, calouses on your palms and aches in your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    I don't think that Silas is arguing against work but rather the compartmentalization and segregation of modern life. Unlike subsistence farming or university education where all aspects of life are integrated or more connected, modern life is hyper disconnected. This disconnection I think contributes to a sense of meaninglessness and "prostitution"...

    Silas,
    I really liked this post and have been pondering it all day. You push for a sense of integration and wholeness of life as the ideal. I would love you to flesh that out a bit more into a picture. I am thinking through the question where is the line between good work and "prostitution"/selling out...

    For me personally I think I directly relate my sense of wholeness and integration to the degree that my work is creatively productive. For example I experience sales jobs as 'whoring'. This is not fair to all people in sales for many are wonderful people of integrity however, I can't do it...

    I think part of the issue you are picking up on is the mechanization and specialization of society. Very few jobs allow you to be part of the larger process of doing or creating something. We have all become cogs in a machine. So while yes we work, our work is often not meaningful, and meaningful and less specialized work is often critiqued as not efficient, or doesn't pay well, or whatever. I think that the fruit of labour is now money (which has only nominal socially agreed upon value but not inherent value of its own)which further contributes to a disconnected sense of value, success, and meaning. The value of work can feel very disconnected and BE very disconnected to the monetary value given to it. The Western dream remains "money for nothing", we settle for selling our bodies, minds and souls so that some one else can live the "dream". We need to change the dream. We need to value work. We need to value creative productivity rather than cheap luxuries and unethical paychecks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the flip side, to push back against your negative evaluation of the phrase "being given a job." I have had experiences where a job feels like a gift. Work/a job has the potential to infuse life with purpose and meaning, create structure and community, empower and validate. When you find deep enjoyment and satisfaction your work beyond the necessary paycheck (or grade) - that is a gift. However, many jobs seem more like curses. So I propose a wider rage of expressive language regarding gaining and enduring employment or the equivalent.

    ReplyDelete