Thursday, November 3, 2011

CYOA: Psalm 138 – Increased Strength of Soul or Increased Weariness?

1 I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart; before the gods I sing your praise; 2I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. 3On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.
4 All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O LORD, 
for they have heard the words of your mouth,
5and they shall sing of the ways of the LORD,
 for great is the glory of the LORD. 
6 For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly,
but the haughty he knows from afar.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.
8The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.
I called my mom the other day to tell her how my new job was going. I told her that it was better than any job I could have dreamed of and that I had never expected myself to be in such a position at my age. She asked me if I had prayed for it. I hadn’t, so I told her that it must have been due to her prayers. Then she went on to try and convince me as to why prayer really works.
I read this passage reluctantly today because reading the Bible is not something that I’ve been keen on lately. Sure enough, the psalm was as bright and hopeful as my cheery disposition *sarcastic tone*.
I tried to imagine what might have moved David to such intentional praise and thanksgiving. Was it spiritual oppression of other gods? Was bowing down to the temple prohibited? Had David just received an answer to prayer? Was he delivered from a fiery situation? Or was he just writing a song for the hymnal? Had his strength of soul already been increased or was he praising in expectation? Was this a quiet prayer or a vibrant exclamation of jubilee?
For a season in my life I kept up the practice of offering praise and thanks to God every time it crossed my mind. It became second nature for me to pray about everything and anything. Even when I found myself in discouraging situations I found great comfort in reading scripture and singing worship songs. While I was in Africa, reading and praying evolved into a crying out for help and salvation. I cried for myself and for others. There was no response. I grew weary. Jealousy rose in me when I read David’s words “On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.” Since Africa, I have not felt much like praising or giving thanks. It is no longer second nature. Rather than a source of strength, I find thanks and praise cause me great weariness.
For those whose soul he does strengthen when thanks and praise are offered, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment