Friday, November 11, 2011

CYOA: Ephesians 1 - Sealed

11In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

I have read over Ephesians one a number of times in order to make some sort of useful or interesting comment. Furthermore, this was not my first time reading it. And yet I am uninspired and feel I have little to no valuable words to present. It is interesting how context and present experience influence our interest or reaction to a text. There might have been some days when I would have tackled the issue of predestination... but today I am tired and bored. There might have been some days when I would explore the theology of the trinity and how through Jesus we are able to participate in the divine... but today I am tired and bored. I considered exploring the nature of the church as Christ's body...but I am tired and bored. I find myself asking, "Doesn't Paul sound just a bit pretensions launching into this lofty introduction/sermon?" How would you feel if people wrote you letters like this? It seems both incredibly formal and annoyingly obsessed with clarifying every statement while at the same time still leaving the reader mostly confused as to what he is actually saying. It is really quite spectacular.

The one comment I wanted to make was regarding the notion of being sealed. The royal seal both in ancient times and medieval was a symbol of authority, authorization and personal approval. This idea of being sealed, is interesting. There is something final about it. Perhaps you remember in Esther when the kings order could not be revoked. Primarily letters, edicts, messages, orders and the like are sealed. I like thinking about it like this because I think it suggest that we, our very lives, have become the King's message... a message made final and official and authenticated by the Holy Spirit.



It also made me think of the small cylinder seals I saw at the Israel museum and how the issue seals (not the animal) is prominent in Revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment