Friday, November 4, 2011

CYOA: Psalm 138 - Rewritten

It is not that I particularly feel like praise. I am actually rather stressed, overwhelmed and a little depressed. However, I was intrigued and inspired by the process poet Sarah Fordham shared at Regent this week for rewriting the psalms into our own words. First each chunk of the psalm is turned into a question then each question is responded to. Here is my rewriting of Psalm 138:

I will work and think hard in school
and also love deeply in my relationships
in response to your grace
in the face of isolating ambition
I will attend church
even when I don't want to
even though it has stained your name
trusting in your grace


May you reveal your love 
in the hearts of my friends
in the hearts of those in need
May they find rest and comfort in you


Though the Lord is often hidden 
My life is sustained
He is gracious to the hurt
and patient with the earnest 
but the oppressive will not find him gentle


Though I am broken
You grant me perseverance
Yahweh will make sense of my life;
your love, LORD, endures forever-
Do not forsake the works of your hand

These are the questions I used while also reflecting on Psalm 138:

What will you do for God?
What has God done for you?
What do you desire for God?
What is surprising about God?
What has God done for you?
What does God do?
What will God do for you?

I am sure that you could use different questions. I would love to see other personal versions of Psalm 138.

No comments:

Post a Comment