Friday, October 21, 2011

Canada Needs Economic Reform Too!

'We are the 99 per cent," the protesters chant, eyes aflame with reformist zeal. It's a compelling slogan, well-suited to the times and to the social-media soup in which we are increasingly immersed.
The wrinkle: It's not true. North America and Europe, geographic epicentres of the Occupy Wall Street movement, are the fattest of fat cats, globally speaking. For any North American, least of all a Canadian, to claim economic kinship with the globally disadvantaged is silly. - 'We are the 99 per cent' is just not true

After reading this article in the Vancouver Sun and glossing over a few more anti-occupy articles, I have some push back of my own to offer.

Firstly I want to point out that the #OccupyVancouver statement of unity is a working document, meaning that it is subject to change as the movement evolves.

This Vancouver Sun article in particular points out the fact that we (Vancouverites) are richer than other nations and therefore have nothing to complain about.

I want to point out that our working statement of unity also includes the sentence "injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere".

This movement is speaks out against the growing global disparity of wealth. Simply because there is a smaller gap between the average Vancouverite adult and the top 1% than the average African adult and the top 1% does not mean we are disqualified from protesting. We have noticed this trend in disparity and do not like it. We want something different to be done for all people!

To be clear, there is a growing disparity of wealth in Canada. So while it is true we are in the top 10% globally, 90% of even North Americans do still qualify as part of the 99%. The idea that since we have it pretty good, we should therefore shut up is unbelievable bullshit. The critique that our complaint must also address our complicit behaviour in exploiting the world is absolutely fair.

I once visited a doctor at a walk-in clinic to talk about anti-depressant medication. This doctor asked me if I was suicidal? If I was ready to jump off a bridge at any moment. He asked if I was imagining things like ants crawling across walls or if I constantly felt like I was being chased. With my negative response he proceeded to tell me that all I need to do is think more positively. He then compared my situation to that of people across the globe who were suffering from natural disasters, drought and war. In my headstrong state I responded fiercely.

"How dare you diminish my suffering based on your incorrect conception of others who have suffered more than I?" "How dare you inflict your prejudice judgement on me!" I was offended to the core. Based on being born and raised in Canada this doctor immediately wrote of all of my life experiences without knowing me or taking the time to inquire and listen and decided that I had not suffered enough to possibly be close to depression.

This is the source of my push back. Simply because we have more of the world's wealth than Africa does not mean that there is not a growing disparity that needs to be addressed here. Yes the disparity is larger elsewhere but that in no way negates the local reality or the validity of complaint. The global reality reinforces rather than undermines the message of #Occupy. Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere! How will this globe change if change is never instigated or supported? We can not leave it up to someone else. We can not leave it up to the other nations.

We have been affected and we need to speak up!

13 comments:

  1. lets get some citations for your random statistics next time please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what statistic do you think is in need of reference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 90th percentile in North America is not below the world's 99th percentile. It's not even close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked wikipedia for population percentages. 5 percent of the global population lives in North America. That means that at minimum 80 percent of us are part of the 99 percent and that assumes that the top global 1 percent all live here which is inaccurate because the Queen I'm pretty sure would be up there. So if we include Europe and call it the Western World we make up 16 percent of the globe. Again if we assume that entire tope one percent is in the western world that means that 93 percent of the western world can include themselves in the 99 percent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I don't want to negate your experiences, I don't think it is at all fair to compare the "suffering" that we as Canadians among the 93% experience with what the majority world experiences. We have so much to be thankful for without protesting against the 1%.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I continue to hear this argument: "you have it pretty good so don't complain!" and I just think it is such bull$h*t... Apparently a lot of people think that relative material standard of living disenfranchises a person from protesting exploitation. Since I am only minimally exploited I don't get to complain or protest? What about standing in solidarity with those worse off then me? which is a big part of Occupy. What about the reality that exploitation is exploitation and while I have it pretty good right now while our governments and corporations destroy the environment and rape third world countries, deliberately devalue currency, deregulate markets in such a fashion as to set us up for recessions as bubbles burst... Its my generation and the the generations after us that will get to clean up the mess and pick up the pieces of debt and war and natural disaster and collapse. So no I am not going to be thankful for how the 1% has seduced me into collusion with the policies that are destroying the world. I am not thankful for how I have sold the birth rights of million for cheap coffee and chocolate and Nikes and $h*t. I am not thankful I am ashamed. I am ashamed that it has taken me so long to be able to see the truth. I am ashamed that it has taken recent economic and financial developments to be able to see where the western financial economic corporate political complex is taking us. As disparity in wealth increases here, I am ashamed that I have waited so long to speak out or take a stand. But let me be very clear I am not going to shut up just because I am exploited less, I am not going to shut up because I have been complicit in global exploitation... I am going be loud and bitter and angry. I am going to repent and try to work for and live something different. Because this is the only appropriate response to the level of Global crisis we are in but ignore by being thankful for how we have benefited from destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know it's still the rich vs the rich. If you can afford to sit and camp out in Vancouver while some kid is dying of thirst you're rich. Do you know there are only two places in the eastside for people to get drinking water. Every summer lots of them don't die of drugs they of of thirst... and yet people are camped out in tents smoking pot complaining about how they are poor.... I would give more ear to this movement if I knew people were also contributing... maybe have rotations. One group works the other group camps... It's a little hard to sympthaize with people who say they want more financial equality when they are smoking pot...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's what I wanna see before I throw my support
    1) Finicial Support for the protest - It shouldn't cost the poor family tons of money in tax payer money - they want to protest fine they need to support themsleves. It's gotta be more than people tenting because they are made.
    2) I want to see them get involved and start sharing their resources with the poor in the Eastside- providing clean drinking water would be a start as well as providing clothing and food.
    3) Authenticity - If they want to complain about how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer I would like to see them admit they each one of them has at somepoint been financially irresponible contributing to the problem. I need to believe its more than people complaining if someone just one person said you know what - I am part of the problem that would go such a long way. I don't care if the 1% is responisble if you can't admit you've been at fault it shows pride because no ones at all has been blameless in this
    4) Stop smoking the Mary Jane- Why would we want more fincial equality if you can't be responsible with the money you do have...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with most of the points you are making. What I disagree about is that somehow your point invalidates Occupy or justifies opposition of people trying to make change in this way. It is an open movement, it precisely is asking for your engagement and input, and influence. This idea that first we all have to agree about how we are going to do something or what we believe before we start working together, or talking together, or supporting each other, or being in relationship is one of the negative legacies of the reformation. You and Occupy are on the same team but you are letting, what I consider small things, divide you from a movement that needs you. This has been the never ending problem of the Left we are too easily divided. So while those who would exploit easily unite behind the power and value of the almighty dollar we engage in a pissing contest regarding our relative seriousness, righteousness, and integrity allowing both our critique and energy to be divided both in all directions including against each other and ourselves. For the first time there is enough unity in discontent to begin a huge open dialogue and you want to wait until they agree with you on everything to participate? I am sure you are making a difference but if you want to complain about Occupy not meeting your standards, take responsibility and engage rather than standing over it in judgement. Be critical but also be supportive. I strongly believe that there is more reason to support that to critique and I am disappointed if you can't see that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is it impossible to be both supportive and critical?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Duncan, I get people's hearts I really do.... and I don't fault them for that... what I fault them for is projecting blame BEFORE they admit they helped created the culture they live in. Why should the 1% give thier money if so much of 99% piss it away on movies, cars they can't afford, phones we don't need and pot they could without? If they did this one thing... it would take away the exuse from so many they all they are is pot smoking college drop outs. I know this movement is doing good! But they are intentionally doing things that are stoping them from fulfilling thier purpose. and they are content because its their "right"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Case and Point ...
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/story.html?id=5653766

    Its not WHAT they are fighting for... its how they are doing it ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. As with any large organization, particularly decentralized one it is easy to find things to critique. However, the questions, "are they perfect? have they got it all figured out?" I think are the wrong questions. The right questions is why are hundreds of thousands of people around the world and particularly the western world protesting, marching and camping out.

    Idealism is paralysing.

    Idealism contributes to apathy.

    Our inability to live and work together amongst complexities allows our voices to be silenced. Those who most need to be involved, who most need to speak refuse out of self righteousness. (I am including myself in my critique)

    It is easy to have ideals. It is difficult to work toward them. Ideals make it easy to critique and dismiss those who are doing things. Nothing is every done perfectly. I have done this, I do this, this blog is often a platform for criticism. I am hopeful that occupy gained critical mass and will have larger ripple effects than can be anticipated currently. But I am to apathetic to continue this fight for freedom to protest, to be out in public, to speak, or the importance of supporting occupy. I will expect you to be a late joiner perhaps too late... Thanks for reading, thanks for your thoughts, thanks for your work for social good. You are intelligent, thoughful, and clearly passionate. Be aware of the power of your voice and specifically your critique. Be careful to evaluate friends and enemies effectively as you work to change the world. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete