Thursday, October 6, 2011

CYOA - Judges 19: To Study the Bible or Not To Study the Bible.




Two days ago, I had an exceptional day with Duncan at Regent College. It started with chapel.

The service was a celebration of thanksgiving and harvest. The chapel host began with an introduction to this Canadian holiday for those of whom it may not be familiar. I appreciated the sensitivity to a diverse multicultural audience.

The theme of chapel centered on creation, provision and gardening. One of the songs we sang was titled I Will Lift Your Name, based on Habbakuk 3.
Though the fig tree does not bud
There are no grapes on the vines
Though the olive crop has failed
And the fields produce no food
I will lift your name
All I have is from Your hand
And it’s yours to take away
In all thinks You work for good
In all things I’ll praise Your name
Not only did this song bring to mind images of Israel (terrace fields built on hillsides, ancient olive trees at Gethsemane, and grapes growing on overhead trellis’) but also it brought to mind the idea of thankfulness and worship in the midst of darkness and hardship.

One of the responses to suffering I find the least helpful and downright discouraging is the advice to “dwell on the positives” or to “find something to be thankful for.” For me, this has always implied forgetting the darkness and dismissing struggle, which leads to a false sense of reality and sets one up for an explosion when positive thinking no longer suffices. The woman who led the prayers of the people during the service prayed that we might be able live in hope without being naive to darkness. She acknowledged that brokenness and darkness has touched every life. I have spent so much time worrying about becoming naive to darkness that I now find it hard to see hope. Yet I found a unique hope in this service because there was a move towards holding the both the cup of joy and the cup of sorrow together.

After chapel many students gathered for the weekly twonie soup lunch and I was lucky enough to join Duncan’s art focused ‘soup group’. After sharing our soup together we sat down to participate in an art lesson led by one of the group members. Based on the tree theme we used pencil, pen, watercolor, charcoal, and pastel in a series of guided drawings, which taught us about post-modern art. It was thrilling.

I then joined Duncan for his Christian Thought and Culture class where Father Lawrence delivered a dynamic lecture, history from an Orthodox perspective: Pentecost to today. I found his lecture refreshing and enlightening for three reasons. 1) It was the first lecture I had been to since graduating and I am a nerd who really loves school. 2) His view on history was different than any view I have heard before. There are certain historical figures which he views in fondness that I was taught were detestable. 3) He did not shy away from a student’s question about his view of the Protestant church. He told the class that one of the problems he sees in the Protestant Church is a lack of tradition and a swaying with new trends (he used the book The Shack as an example).

By the end of this wonderful day my mind was exhausted. I was bombarded with new ideas and perspectives. I could not help but think about what I might study and what life might be like as a Regent student. But then I sat down to write on Judges 19 and I was at a loss of what to think or what to say. I was not sure how to read it or what questions to ask and I could not figure out its larger role in scripture. I fear that I do not have what it takes to read and understand the Bible, that I would never succeed as a student at Regent and that God will not help me.

3 comments:

  1. Danielle, this isnt specifically a reply to your post.

    I'm curious of the three minds' responces and thoughts and PR questions are, in respect to the ongoing occupy wall street protests in new york and spreading around north America including on our own doorstep in Vancouver.
    I'm slightly surprised by the current silence on the topic.
    Dare dip your toe into that pool? Only dipping a toe can still be quite dangerous, as the pool is full of agitated sharks and aligators

    Reuben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I was so happy to have you visit! And you already know my thoughts on your academic capabilities. Furthermore, you don't have to study the bible you can take classes like: 'Stories of doubt and faith' - Loren Wilkinson. At least you didn't have to translate judges 19 into Maninka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Danielle,
    I think you rock at Bible Study...oh, that is because you love God! And you are seriously an A+++ student. Weren't you valedictorian for your 4-year post-secondary degree program?? :) I think that means something. At any rate, you can do it - anything! Even marathons!

    ReplyDelete