Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Wearing a Mustache to Work, Post-Unemployment Reflections



I am now a Community Development Worker with the Diversity Education and Resource Services Program in the Multicultural and Immigrant Services Department of Abbotsford Community Services. What do I do?

I cut comics out of newspapers. Not only do I get to read the newspaper for work (we call it media analysis), I get to plan and facilitate diversity workshops for schools and other professionals. I work on interfaith bridging events with community members from different faith groups. I compose and edit documents. My co-workers and I meet with a youth committee and empower them to plan events where they and their peers can respond to discrimination. These are just the highlights.

I have spent the last few weeks becoming acquainted with this new position, and I love everything about it. I feel like I am in college without being graded (which is one of the best things I could possibly imagine)! I work with a team of three others who love their work and are incredibly affirming and encouraging. I am learning new things every day about people in different faith groups, marginalized populations, Canadian immigration, population demographics, non-profit organizations, and how to foster inclusive community. I have received so much positive feedback from my co-workers that all I want to do is invest more in our community.
Unemployment seems so distant. Not long ago, I was trapped in job searching defeat and focus-less existence. Post-unemployment, especially satisfactory post-unemployment, is a stage I had only dreamed of reaching last June. My journey to this new position has been quite interesting. Upon graduation, I travelled for a month. I returned to full time unemployment. To my delight, I was hired mid-summer as a car detailer. To my dismay I was fired a week later. But a local grocery store took pity on me, hired me to work in their kitchen and helped me restore a smidgen of hope. There I made wonderful new friends. Out of the blue, I was called for an interview and offered a career. Now I have a desk by a window, an email signature with three different logos and a confidentiality clause and my absolute favourite… business cards.

The transition from unemployment hopelessness and loathing my degree to job satisfaction and using my degree is shocking me still. I was convinced that my degree was useless in the secular world but I have been proved wrong…
A friend mentioned to me the other week that he hoped this job would be redeeming. Not that it would justify what I have lived but that it would be restorative. That in this position I would be able to bring my thoughts and experiences to the table and use them constructively rather than be brought down by them. I truly hope that this will be so.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle,

    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your role at ACS.

    It would be interesting to meet at some point to chat about how the church I'm involved with could potentially become more engaged with the things going on at ACS. If you're interested, message me on facebook privately and we will work out a time to chat :)

    All the best friend!

    ReplyDelete