Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday!


Nothing brings people together on the holidays like shopping. First we consume food together and then we consume electronics, shoes, clothes etc... It is really unbelievable to me that American Thanksgiving and Christmas are immediately followed by such sales that we are sparked into frenzied blitz of consumption (Black Friday and Boxing Day).

I am at home... by myself... not shopping...

As I am writing this post I am considering dressing all in black and drawing dollar signs on my eyelids and going and lurching around Best Buy blinking at people. But I will probably just stay home and do homeworkish type stuff... do some dishes and such.

I would be a terrible consumer on Black Friday... I hate line ups. We went to see Sarah Slean in concert on Wednesday and since it was general seating we arrived early to line up for good seats. Despite having to switch lines to pick up are tickets we managed to get in early and score 4th row seats for a great show. However, waiting outside in the cold in a line up was awful. It was like nightmare. I hate waiting in lines. Its the only thing about grocery stores I don't like. If I am there with someone I will almost always abandon them in the line and do anything else. Clearly, this demonstrates a level of dysfunctional impatience on my part, which is perhaps characteristic of our generation.... However, I continue to find it bemusing that it is in particular line ups that bring it out in me. It is sort of a claustrophobic panic that sets in... I am perfectly capable of waiting in other situations but put me in a line up and my mental health deteriorates faster than jackrabbit. Even thinking about it makes me anxious and uncomfortable. I wish I could tell you when this started for me, but I'm not sure. The bad news is I think it is getting worse.

Maybe this is why I have been a bit depressed recently. Life feels a bit like a giant line up - except I've lost track of what we're waiting for, or if I want to buy anything... and the weather has turned cold...

So I'm not sure I want what we're lining up for but I'm also rather afraid of getting out of line... if only I had a bit of candy... just a few Swedish berries... God help me if I become diabetic...

No comments:

Post a Comment