Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Disconcerting Trend


I sit here with an uncomfortable feeling in my gut. It is a feeling that has been around for a long time now. Sometimes the feeling seems to have teeth that gnaw at me, other times it lays dormant, maybe for a week, maybe a few months; whatever the case it continues to rear its ugly head.

I have been unsure of whether or not to blog this, but here I go (so maybe it is time?).

The disconcerting trend that makes me anxious is a growing idolatry of certainty within churches, and pejorative name calling by those within the church. These two things seem to be on the rise, slowly but surely, they march on to dominate and oppress others who do not fit the mould. I am experiencing and witnessing this trend within Abbotsford, as well as in the greater area of the lower mainland. The trend has been growing recently (or maybe I am simply continuing to become more aware of it).

I have two examples of the pejorative verbatim tossed around in churches, in Bible College, and even in conversations between friends. These two examples point toward an underlying sentiment, which I believe is one factor in the rise of idolizing certainty. The first example comes from far away (better to attack what is at a distance before striking too near the heart). Three years ago in Israel, while learning about the physical and geographical settings of the Bible, I was confronted by “maximalist” and “minimalist”. These terms regarded the “group” a certain scholar or idea fit. For example, are these group of rocks store houses or stables? One position was maximalist, one was minimalist. The “maximalists” held to a certain position, usually that which “agreed” with the Bible, and the “minimalist” position would conclude differently. Both positions looked at the same evidence, and considered the Bible, and came to different conclusions (it is my opinion that both groups we guilty of cooking the evidence at times). The problem that arises, the thing that rubs me the wrong way, is that once the groupings were established the way the terms were used became harmful. This occurred in Israel, by the end of the trip if you thought a “minimalist” position might be right there was a stigma sent in your direction. You obviously had weak faith, you did not believe the Bible (or at least you do not take it seriously), you may not be saved, you were sub par, and you might even be a “liberal”! The classification of “minimalist” became a pejorative.

The second example is quickly growing in the vernacular of the circles I skirt. It is defence of one’s ideas by entrenching one’s self based on having a “high view of scripture”. This subsequently implies, or has even be explicitly stated, that the one with whom he or she disagrees has a “low view of scripture”. It has been my experience, and some of those around me, that this is incredibly hurtful, often said without proper thought or care for the other, and can be invested with a derogatory tone.

Here are some thoughts/responses to this pejorative usage: A) simply because you land in one place and someone else disagrees does not mean he or she has a “low view of scripture”, there have been disagreements for as long as religion has existed (so get off your “high” horse). B) One’s worldview often dictates one’s conclusions more than external evidence. Scripture might not even be the actual argument or disagreement; rather there may be a clash of worldview. So, if one dogmatically claims the “high view of scripture” without plenty of self-critique and humility, he or she exudes arrogance, pride, self-righteousness, and ignorance. C) Just because the historical/grammatical method of exegesis and interpretation lead to one answer it does not mean it is the “correct” answer or interpretation. It was not simply arrived at because of one’s “high view of scripture”. There are a plethora of interpretive methods, and a vast array of interpretations within each method, so honestly consider some alternative possibilities. D) Someone might hold such a “high view of scripture” that they have spent their entire life studying, reading, investing resources, listening to others, caring for others, and re-thinking faith. This person may eventually come to a new or different conclusion because of their “high view of scripture”, so to then label this new view as having it base in a “low view of scripture” is to slander the other.

Whew, it feels nice to get that off my internet chest. Which leads us to the new atheists (fundamentalists), atheists, as those who rely on the idolatry of certainty. Positions arrived at by the underlying disposition that manifests itself in pejorative language.

Rolling beneath these trends of pejorative vernacular is a more disconcerting movement. It is a movement of correctness. Not political correctness or the certainty that 2+2=4 within the agreed upon public consciousness (“where as 2+2=5”, as my dad would say, “in very high values of 2”). No, “correctness” in the manner of “I am right” (implying all others to be wrong). This “correctness” lies in the outflow of certainty. The need for certainty, or rather the religious crutch of certainty, which will lead to a behaviour of “correctness”. This may manifest itself is such statements as “I know what I know”, or “ask questions, find answers”, or “don’t read that! He or she is a heretic”, or “maybe it is more…but it is certainly not less”. It is in such statements that idols are erected. Idols that stand in the place of something or more often then not someone. The idol of certainty limits our ability to interact with each other as well as God. For if we are certain of God or another, we implicitly demote him or her or God from the position of a free agent or person to the realm of object, where actions are known and can be calculated. Such object interactions are bound to fail, people continue to surprise, and God continues to defy boxes.

Certainty, and the idolization of it, manifests itself in both Atheism and Fundamentalism (given there are exceptions, I know some great doubting Atheists, as well as a few questioning fundamentalists). Certainty had it heyday with modernism. “I think therefore I am”, “only that which can be proven through the scientific method can be known”, “the Bible says…”, etc. This time gave rise to atheism as it is commonly understood as well as religious fundamentalism. These two groups are not very far apart in their mode of thought, rather they reflect each other, not as estranged cousins but more like . Both appear to lack an epistemological humility, and a disposition towards the knower’s fallibility.

I’ll leave it at that, knowing I am probably wrong ;)

12 comments:

  1. When I read this, I really felt for you Silas. I too agree there is this tone/arrogance that comes from people you would a high view of scripture. In fact I would go so far as to stay that it is this arrogance that caused liberal or low view of scripture or emergent philosophies. So i guess its our fault. Its also the reason I would dare take a low view of scripture. Or stay in debate. This last weekend I went on a marriage retreat where two were sharing their stories. They said that when they grew up their upbringing was strick so they were easy going with their kids while the other spouse was grew up in an easy going household so they were strict when they became parents. They said that we either raised by our parents or we are a product of their woundness.
    I think the same is true in this issue. I dont think we choose what camp we fall in in Christianity because we think its the healthier one. I think we choose it because we got wounded by one and we think the solution is other. But in reality its not healthier. I think once we know that however and work through it it helps us make healthier choices

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dont like the arrogance. but I dont think conversational approach to is is any healthier. The reason your noticing this trend is because of woundness. For example the arrogance you saw led people to a to question and discuss which in and of itself is healthy but the problem with it is that it never moves beyond its woundness. It wants to keep the conversation going. Well people got sick of it and went back to the conservative side which is why you are now seeing the thing you don't like. People with a high view of scripture donèt mind conversation or even questioning faith. I guess its when it just when it gets stuck there that people get tired of it. It really doesnt help in life when you stay 10 or 20 years in debate and conversation mode. I think the thing you need to realize is life is not college. Peoples lives hang in the balance. A suicidal kid or falling apart marriage can only stay in conversational mode so long before a call is made. I think if the conversational or liberal or low scripture would admit there are certain doctrines and situations where we can have time for a a discussion but then made a definitive call that would go along way in helping get rid of the arrogance your talking about. When people hear stuff like - You only believe because thats your world view - what they hear is you can never really be sure of every anything and therefore unable to make a decision about how you spend your money or treat your spouse or how to have good business ethics so it turn them off. So for example if you took something like the Hypostatic Union aka the deity of Christ and say to people - you only believe because thats your western world view it totally turns them off to a conversational / debating mindset. Es specially when they know certain doctrines are across time and culture like that one. It was taught in 1 Century Africian Culture, debate in Greek culture and just affirmed in the big bad Middle Ages where the church was going to rule the world. I think if "low scpriture" people say these are a list of doctrines that we have thought through and say we can affirm that these just arent peoples view. but stuff we can say that was taught across culture and time I think it would go along way in bringing the gap. Otherwise it just sounds like a broken record. As for people who are arrogant. I would argue that they are not hold to their view of scripture because if they had they would know that they are to teach harsh truth with gentleness and respect as outlined in 1 tim. If they were a true student of the word they would not Jesus was only harsh in teaching to those who all ready knew the truth and didn't do it but to everyone when he taught hard truth he was gentle

    ReplyDelete
  3. In general I am happy that the trend is high view of Scripture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silas,
    My thought would be that I'm not sure that this is a growing trend... although what you are describing is certainly real. I am not sure it is more real or increasing so much as our engagement and interest has increased and perhaps our positions have changed. I feel like these are the same conversations my mother was having with her father except reversed etc. So I think Dan makes a relevant comment regarding how much of our life is a reaction to our experience. I, however, think that this reality of experience and reaction, precisely pushes us toward Derrida's 'difference,' that is both to differentiate and difer; presenting precisely a perpetuity that is reflective of real, intergenerational life. So while there are ideas and doctrine that have have been taught across time and culture, there are also questions and disagreements with many of those doctrines that have occurred through time and culture. The answer to the circular perpetuity of life is not arrogant dogmatism but rather humble and perpetual engagement. Is this exhausting? Perhaps. Is it paralyzing? I believe it is only paralyzing if one feels the need of certainty (a modern phenomenon). Certainty, certainly, in the absolute sense, is not necessary for action. Therefore, learning to both live, think and act in humility and cognizant awareness of our perpetual fallibility and insufficiency, is really a call to recognize and embrace the reality of the human experience and in that sense submit oneself to God, who has created our experience to be such.

    I love a quote from a character in John Updike's "In the Beauty of the Lilies":

    Isn't enough sometime if you just don't make things any worse? (143)

    I think as residents of the most violent and blood soaked century in history this is a very valid question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan thanks for the comments, it is always nice to see how people are interacting with the content we post.
    Some comments. I am not opposed to people having a high view of scripture, that is all well and good, I hoped to articulate that my frustration arises when this position becomes harmful to others, or open and honest discussion and interaction with real life, life as we experience it, life as we live it. Because if our dogma prevents abstract theologies becoming relevent and applicable to everyday life then we are not really doing theology any more, we are simply waxing eloquintly with our fingers stuffed in our ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think conversation can become cirular, but i guess i am still optimistic that this whole period of emergent theology and deconstruction can lead to something new, hopefully something better, rooted in tradition, but changing, similar to the changes that have occured at time over the past 2000 years. I guess i hope all of our conversation has a purpose, a purpose of meeting on common ground, and from my point of view, reversion to answers or dogma is a step in the wrong dirrection, a step back, possibly out of fear of the unknown that lays ahead.
    As for things that we can know for certain, sure i have those too, they just seem not to be the ones others lad upon. For example, certainties of equality, non-violence of Christ, belief in situational and relational justice, these are a few of the things I stand on firmly, and I think they are rooted out of my interaction with God and scripture. These things help me to act, to not be in a state of complete uncertainy or conversation, they are things i hope to bring to conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duncan, thanks, I would like to add a nuance. We react yes, but we are also in continuation. I think about my own life, i have reacted against a lot of things, but i can also trace a trajectory throughout it. My parents taught me a methodology of hamonizing, ex evolution can be hamonized with scripture, christianity can have a voice in politics, etc. I think the idea of being in continual cycles and repeating is true of human existance, there is constant reaction, AND i think there is dirrection and being. Dirrection in that the narrative and the story move, being in that as we continually sound like a broken recod reashing and reacting, we are doing exactly what we are meant to do. We are to being involved with God, I think this posture of being is lost, at least for me, when there are answers offered rather than attempts to reconcile difference, between life and dogma.
    Duncan I also really appreciate your insight into how much of this results from our current experience of mass violence resulting in an age of anxiety. I think this links back to previous post where we explored dissonance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silas, I would love to hear you expand on uncertainty as it pertains to missiology. One of the classic Christian certainties (to make an incredible, and almost vulgar, understatement) is that a believer/Christ-follower/????????? should be bringing others "into the fold".
    The more I learn about the Bible and the human condition, the less I seem to understand what this means. My own belief structure has been rebuilt enough times that I'm not sure I'd like to put myself into a position of inviting anyone to join anything, on fear of deceiving them unintentionally.
    How then, does life's uncertain dialectic warrant the conversion of the pagan to the saint?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh. Certainty...missiology...story...life. That is where I am going.
    But first, mission, as I understand it, is not so much an imperative "GO" make disciples, rather it is "as you are going" make disciples. The disposition we take towards "converting" others is important. Your stated fear of decieving others places you, in what i believe, is a good position to evangelize. Humility, honesty, life together. That is where mission is.
    I would encourage you to re-read this http://smokemirrorsandcigarettes.blogspot.ca/2012/02/evangelizing-worldview.html
    And then from there begin thinking through certainty, and the alack there of, in regards to the stories posts. http://smokemirrorsandcigarettes.blogspot.ca/search/label/stories
    For me this is where "the rubber hits the road". If we continue to believe in a story we cannot help but share it and spread it. It will ooze out of us, and mission in then accomplished. This may look different then the typical conversion of pagan to saint. But others cannot help but notice, we are observant creatures.
    For example, if you refuse to be misogynistic all the time, day in and day out, and you are willing to speak out against others who put down womyn, your story will spread, discussions will arise, conflict may take place, but in this you spread the good news of Equality, equality rooted in an understanding as Christ as King and the rest of us as Saints, a priesthood of believers (to get Biblical), a radical alternative to the norm. People will either chose to continue their "pagan" ways of oppression or join the "saints".
    So I guess it comes down to whether you think you have arrived at a good story to tell or not. If you think it is a worth sharing you share, if not you don't. You do not need certainty to share, because maybe you are wrong and you will later realize you were a "pagan" on a certain topic. Or with more biblical words, your sanctification is continually developing. Your are in the process of being saved.
    I hope that kind of made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silas

    Thank you for informing me of your previous blog on evangelizing! I did not know that it existed. I believe you published it just as midterms were beginning, and it must of slipped through the cracks.
    I wish I had read it before the Story blogs, as it brought great clarity to our conversation (or rather , my conversation with Duncan) that went on there.
    I must confess that I overstated and oversimplified the above for the sake of discussion (who likes limp noodle blogger?), which has seemingly paid off. You clearly and concisely put words to many of my own mental stirrings, for which I thank you.
    These two blogs have also (in my opinion) tightened up your idea of story (or brought clarity to my misunderstandings.) Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe what you are trying to do is craft an enacted, rather than static, epistemology. Your writing extends beyond traditional epistemic borders into the actualities of what could only be referred to as a story. This (quite properly) takes into account the relativity of our unique situations and its resulting effects what our "knowing" or "truth" could possibly be. It is at this level of expansion that "worldview" and thence "mission" can be treated fairly and (for lack of a better word) realistically.

    I hate to beat a dead horse, but just for sake of clarification...should story be treated as a proper epistemology? Or is broader? It seems to me to be a more basic feature of life (maybe the most basic) then what is traditionally labelled an epistemology. In a previous blog you compare/contrast it with N.T. Wrights critical realism as if the two stand in opposition with each other. Is this fair? It seems to me that a fundamentally Greek epistemology (Aristotle's theory of abstraction, Plantinga's reformed epistemology, etc.) do not attempt to work with as much force as story does. Take a look at Wrights schematic on page 44 of The New Testament and the People of God. Is that not strangely similar to the wording you use above in your response to Dan (as for things we can know for certain, sure I have those too...). Couldn't we say that Wright is talking about a way of speaking of finer details within the larger concept of story? They may not be able to subvert worldviews, but maybe they are useful when talking about them. It seems to me that these more discursive methods of articulation are useful in context, but becomes destructive when they attempt to dominate context.

    Maybe an analogy will be useful. As you might know, scientists and philosophers alike currently have little idea how phenomenal consciousness occurs or even if it exists at all. Classical dualism is rejected by scientists as nonsense, despite the fact that they can propose no concrete alternative explanation. A neurophilosopher by the name of Alva Noe has recently proposed a radical new idea: consciousness is not bodily function, but is rather the result of the body in action. In this sense it is enacted, much like the way a dance cannot be explained pointing to legs and arms and bodies, but can only be explained by the dance itself. Maybe Greek philosophy points to legs and arms and such (which are nice to know about), while story points to dance. In this sense mission wouldn't be about telling people about their body...but inviting them to try a new dance. See what I mean? Maybe story and consciousness are in certain ways similar.
    Anyways, I'm getting way off topic. Loved the blogs. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silas

    Thank you for informing me of your previous blog on evangelizing! I did not know that it existed. I believe you published it just as midterms were beginning, and it must of slipped through the cracks.
    I wish I had read it before the Story blogs, as it brought great clarity to our conversation (or rather , my conversation with Duncan) that went on there.
    I must confess that I overstated and oversimplified the above for the sake of discussion (who likes limp noodle blogger?), which has seemingly paid off. You clearly and concisely put words to many of my own mental stirrings, for which I thank you.
    These two blogs have also (in my opinion) tightened up your idea of story (or brought clarity to my misunderstandings.) Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe what you are trying to do is craft an enacted, rather than static, epistemology. Your writing extends beyond traditional epistemic borders into the actualities of what could only be referred to as a story. This (quite properly) takes into account the relativity of our unique situations and its resulting effects what our "knowing" or "truth" could possibly be. It is at this level of expansion that "worldview" and thence "mission" can be treated fairly and (for lack of a better word) realistically.

    I hate to beat a dead horse, but just for sake of clarification...should story be treated as a proper epistemology? Or is broader? It seems to me to be a more basic feature of life (maybe the most basic) then what is traditionally labelled an epistemology. In a previous blog you compare/contrast it with N.T. Wrights critical realism as if the two stand in opposition with each other. Is this fair? It seems to me that a fundamentally Greek epistemology (Aristotle's theory of abstraction, Plantinga's reformed epistemology, etc.) do not attempt to work with as much force as story does. Take a look at Wrights schematic on page 44 of The New Testament and the People of God. Is that not strangely similar to the wording you use above in your response to Dan (as for things we can know for certain, sure I have those too...). Couldn't we say that Wright is talking about a way of speaking of finer details within the larger concept of story? They may not be able to subvert worldviews, but maybe they are useful when talking about them. It seems to me that these more discursive methods of articulation are useful in context, but becomes destructive when they attempt to dominate context.

    Maybe an analogy will be useful. As you might know, scientists and philosophers alike currently have little idea how phenomenal consciousness occurs or even if it exists at all. Classical dualism is rejected by scientists as nonsense, despite the fact that they can propose no concrete alternative explanation. A neurophilosopher by the name of Alva Noe has recently proposed a radical new idea: consciousness is not bodily function, but is rather the result of the body in action. In this sense it is enacted, much like the way a dance cannot be explained pointing to legs and arms and bodies, but can only be explained by the dance itself. Maybe Greek philosophy points to legs and arms and such (which are nice to know about), while story points to dance. In this sense mission wouldn't be about telling people about their body...but inviting them to try a new dance. See what I mean? Maybe story and consciousness are in certain ways similar.
    Anyways, I'm getting way off topic. Loved the blogs. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >Maybe Greek philosophy points to legs and arms and such (which are nice to know about), while story points to dance. In this sense mission wouldn't be about telling people about their body...but inviting them to try a new dance. See what I mean? Maybe story and consciousness are in certain ways similar.

      LOVE IT!!!

      Delete