Monday, May 28, 2012

Harry Potter Pilgrimage

Summer is a time to hang out with friends; for me this involves hanging out with Harry Potter. This is quickly becoming my summer-time tradition. Year after year, as the sun comes out and the earth warms, I pull out my books, dust off the covers, and begin a few thousand page journey.

This year I am trying to make the journey last. I am trying to read a book I have not read before in between each book of the Harry Potter series. So far it is going well.

Yesterday, I finished "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". Today, I finished "Dead Aid" by Dambisa Moyo (an interesting alternative take on aid and development, but unfortunately still built on the fundamental belief that growth is good and infinite). Which means, I get to start "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" tonight!

Dumbledore continues to blow my mind, and is undoubtedly my favorite character. Here is a short extract to brighten your day:

"It [the sorting hat] only put me in Gryffindor,' said Harry in a defeated voice, 'because I asked not to go in Slytherin...'
'Exactly,' said Dumbledore, beaming once more. 'Which makes you very different from Tom Riddle. It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.' Harry sat motionless in his chair, stunned."

No comments:

Post a Comment