Wednesday, September 28, 2011

CYOA: Psalm 139 – Not my bag

This week’s CYOA is Psalm 139. I am tired. Today I taught “Empire: A Hermeneutic” for second year students. I worked six and a half hours at my job moving couches and dressers. I cooked dinner for my roommates. I watched an episode of Game of Thrones, by HBO, with my roommate. Game of Thrones is a totally awesome show. I also watched the new episode of Criminal Minds. Those are the facts. That was my day.

I then sat down to write a short blog post. I read the passage. My reflections were…not much. I think Psalm 139 is a nice, generally uplifting psalm. The last time I read or reflected on this psalm was when one of my best friends had a serious work accident and we prayed this psalm a lot. He has recovered well and so my emotional attachment to this psalm is a positive one.

Personally, Psalms is not my favourite section of the Bible. I am quite content not reading them. Maybe it is because I am not overly emotional; I like a story more than a poem. Whatever the case, I have very few thoughts on this Psalm. Like any other psalm, I would not derive any piece of theology solely from this psalm, given the emotionally driven nature with which it was written, as well as the emotional nature of the one reading it. The most intriguing part was the section about hating those who God hates. I, however, would not get all bent out of shape about it because it is a psalm and curses are often a part of this literary format. Sorry if you read this expecting something worth reading. Today’s reading was not my bag.

1 comment: