Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Baby… Baby… Baby… Oh!




What is it about babies? Whenever I have a baby in my arms my heart melts and I am softened. They always turn my frown upside down because every move and every sound they make is worthy of awe.

This week, a couple in our community house brought their newborn baby home from the hospital. I have fawned over him since the moment he arrived.

When I was three, my father left because he did not want to take care of my sister and I. I have always convinced myself that this had no effect on my development because I never knew any different.

As I reflect on my upbringing, I think my father’s move played a significant role in nourishing my desire to care for children. I love to hold babies and give them everything that they need. I love to play with them and make them smile. I love to praise them when they learn knew things and encourage them to do more. Caring for infants who cannot care for themselves brings me insurmountable joy and satisfaction. I have a deep-rooted desire to care for infants and toddlers in the ways I was not cared for.

I have experienced abandon several times over in my life, by family, significant others, mentors, and God. My heart has become calloused and my attitude bitter towards those who are able to abandon. But for babies and the vulnerable my capacity to love only expands.

No comments:

Post a Comment