Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

So not at all sure what to write about this book. Wednesday has come and I have not got around to writing my CYOA, now crunch time is here. So if you are expecting something profound stop reading now this is going to be a ramble.

When I opened up the book, I saw I had underlined a few sections. This is something I took to doing while reading much of the OT last year during the time I lived in East Africa. So I am going to meander through a few of the the underlined sections.

“There is nothing new under the sun” – There is peace here for me knowing that if the worst comes to it my death will be one of many on the earth today, non-spectacular, ordinary and therefore freeing. So much for the pressures of life they are all small, and in the grand scheme of the cosmos they are quite minute.

“For with much wisdom come much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief” – I think I have experienced this as I have become conscientious of reality in the past years. Never more so than in Africa, realizing and learning about the incredible disparity between where people want to be in their standard of living and their lived reality. This can truly only lead to grief and sorrow for those who truly see. Ignorance is bliss.

“A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment” – This is my reality as I work a job I hate. I commute 3 hours a day, and then work in isolation doing backbreaking labour. Meaningless, meaningless, it pays the bills and if I did not cling to my small hope of doing something more meaningful, in the future, the despair of my current situation would be overwhelming. It has come to a point where each day seems like I spend it counting down till my death (ok that is hyperbole, but when the day is spent counting down minutes to each break and the end of the day it seems like waiting for death to come, because the count down will finally end. Such is life when the first thought when I wake up is looking forward to going to bed at the end of the day).

So that is it. I need to go to bed. Blog out.

No comments:

Post a Comment