Wednesday, August 10, 2011

CYOA - Choosing our Language

CYOA  Numbers 21:4-6

And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way to the Red Sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. 5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, and there is no water; and our soul loatheth this light bread. 6 And Jehovah sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. (American Standard Version)

       At first I was not at all sure what to write about when I read this passage. I was not even offended by it. Thinking about my initial reaction I am a put off at how nonchalant I was to the deaths of these people because they were grumbling. I think that reflects more on me and others who read the Bible than on the story. It was as if an inner switch turned on when I went to read the passage, and it went something like this...Well that is terrible, but it is in the Bible, and God can do as God pleases, and God  gives just judgement, so then that is a great story. Realizing this was quite disconcerting, as I realize the extent to which I am still brainwashed by Church culture to not take the Bible seriously enough to read what it actually says.

So here are a few thoughts, after some more reflection. I think Numbers 21:1-3 is also important to read when contemplating 4-6.

1 And the Canaanite, the king of Arad, who dwelt in the South, heard tell that Israel came by the way of Atharim; and he fought against Israel, and took some of them captive. 2 And Israel vowed a vow unto Jehovah, and said, If thou wilt indeed deliver this people into my hand, then I will utterly destroy their cities. 3 And Jehovah hearkened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities: and the name of the place was called Hormah.

       The connection may not be immediately clear. Why would I want to bring in a passage about genocide of one ethic/religious group by another religious/ethnic group. Is it not just Serbia and Kosovo in ancient times? Yes, it is exactly Serbia and Kosovo, and that is the point. In this specific passage the genocide is initiated by the human side of the relationship. The Jews retaliate and destroy the Canaanites, and the Bible records that Yahweh listened and then gave them the Canaanites. I find this incredibly telling. I see God agreeing to communicate with the Israelites in terms they can comprehend, and if those terms are nationhood and genocide, the standard of the time, then God agrees to communicate in these terms even though they are less then the ideal.
       I think this helps me understand God's recoded reaction to their grumbling. The Israelites have communicated that the "language" they understand is that of life and death. In so doing they have stated the terms of communication they expect from God, so the reprimand comes in similar "language".
       I think this "language" changes throughout the narrative of the Bible, as there is a movement away from stories such as this one (although they never completely disappear as there are NT examples). I think biblically one sees this in regard to this specific story by looking to 2 Kings 18:4. Moses makes a bronze snake to remedy the problem of the snakes. This symbol/fetish is a highly "primitive" form of religion. It is thus "out grown" by the progressive revelation of scripture. The fetishism had become fully developed around the bronze snake by the time of Hezekiah came to the throne, it is recorded that he is responsible for its destruction.

4 He removed the high places, and brake the pillars, and cut down the Asherah: and he brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made; for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it; and he called it Nehushtan. (2 Kings 18:4 ASV)

I think this reflects back on more than just the bronze snake, I would read this passage to reflect as a condemnation of interacting with God like the the Israelites did in Numbers 21.
       That is my main thought about this passage, it is a mediocre answer as all answers are. I am forced to again contemplate my underlying presupposition about inspiration and understanding of the compilation of scripture. As I read this passage and wrote this blog there was always a nagging in the back of my mind, the idea of scripture being the record of a people grappling with the dissonance between their experiences and a belief in the supernatural. Thus when bad happens, they have done wrong and when they are victorious it must have been because God condoned it. I think with a little bit of this understanding underlying one's reading, progressive revelation becomes even more important to struggle with as our consciences are no longer comfortable with genocide.

P.S. We need some more passages you would like us to write about (they don't all need to be difficult, maybe it is your favourite and you would like to see what we have to say, or a passage you have never heard a sermon on). Post any passages you want us to write on in the comments section below and they will go into the pool of passages we draw from each week.

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 19, 103, 139
    Ecclesiates

    any verse that will stir the pot a little bit and get some interesting thoughts going on controversial subjects.

    ReplyDelete