Monday, March 25, 2013

Evangelism, Outreach and Oppression


In the last year and a half, I have witnessed several beautiful moments at interfaith events in Abbotsford. I have seen people meet others from different religions for the very first time and share a meal together. I have watched people learn about the similarities and differences in their beliefs and carry on respectful conversation. I have watched this community strive to create an atmosphere of religious peace and am inspired to continue working in this community.

While these bridges of faith and understanding are being built, there have also Christian groups meeting to devise targeted outreach strategies to convert people of other religions. I would like to think that all Christian missions strategies are created with the noble intentions of spreading love and compassion. Yet when these plans use militaristic language, and reflect strategies of colonization I wonder if love and compassion is being spread or if oppression is perpetuated.

It is important to consider the thoughts and feelings of the “target” group when considering how to share faith. How might the target of Donna Mayhem’s comic react to this material? 


There is great value in sharing faith with one another but to do this respectfully can be challenging. It takes great conscientiousness to suspend one’s judgments long enough to begin to create understanding. 

I want to live in place where my beliefs are respected, where I am not targeted for change but am embraced and included as I am. I also want to be part of creating a community where religious diversity is valued.

Before we start planning an interfaith dialogue in Abbotsford, I ask the planning committee to reflect on times when they have felt the most welcomed and included. We use our answers as a springboard to create an inclusive event where all people feel welcomed.

I am curious to know what ideas you have to respectfully confront oppressive faith-sharing tactics and to create a climate of religious peace?  

2 comments:

  1. Danielle,

    I was wondering what does a targeted oppressive outreach look like?
    Because for me it I think a targeted oppesive attacked would look like some coming into my church or home with an angry tone - shouting at me or yelling me. Not taking the time to know my struggles or what I think before he told me if I was right or wrong for believing it.
    But I don't mind for example Mormon's or Jevohah witness knocking at my door "targeting me" telling me that my view of Jesus wrong. In all honestly I feel loved that they took the time to do that. Even though i was targeted i didn't feel devalued. Even though they told me my view of the trinity was wrong - I never felt judged or somehow inferior by them. Yet they did target me - they did tell me why they thought their view of Jesus was a superior view. They told me I was wrong - but I never once felt like I wasn't respected. They took the time to listen and even when they were adement that they were "right" and I was "wrong". I walked away feeling respected

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess how I would confront someone who has an oppseive outreach style would be to really ask them to leave.
    Someone who oppresses in outreach to me would
    a)look like a blow horn guy.
    I think a way to confront him would be to leave him alone. A guy like that thrives and yearns for conflict. So ignore him - no one on the street is listening to him anyway
    b) That guy that tells you about Jesus when no one wants to listen or cares in an informal setting.
    In that case I'd teach that person the art of reading people. Id tell them that there are times people are willing to listen and other times people are not. I'd then encourage him that when people aren't willing to hear I'd wait till they were but to "preach" when people are all ready tuned out just hearened their hearts
    c) Someone who is oppersive might be someone who keeps the conversation on Jesus with the intent that the person will become saved in that conversation. This to me is oppesive because it forces someone into a corner. With that person I would gently remind them that evangelism is a processes not an event. and one convesation is just a link in a chain. I would remind that person that it often takes 7 - 8 authentic Christian contacts before someone gives any real thought to Christianit. I would also remind them that they can't force someone to become a Christian - its out of their control - all you can really do is share what you believe and why you choose that system of beliefs over others and leave it at that - if the person is wiling to hear. I'd remind them that when the apostles shared thier faith with people of different religions they left that town or city if they people weren't interested. They didn't force their way. They simply went after people, shared with them and they either stayed or left depending on whether or not the people were interested.

    ReplyDelete