Monday, October 1, 2012

Year Two

Last year Amy and I moved to Vancouver and I started a Masters program at Regent College on the UBC campus. I was very naively surprised by the trauma and difficulty of that transition. The move, while small, was absolute. Unlike our move to Abbotsford, we had no friends or acquaintances near us in the city. While I knew a couple of CBC grads at Regent, they were second or third years and our paths crossed minimally. It was a difficult year of birthing and integrating into a new community, rhythms, and place.

As I start my second year, I am conscious of this challenge the many first year students are going through. I am thrilled to not be dealing with the chaos of moving and figuring out buses, shopping etc. We have become established in a place. We have routines and rhythms. I am comforted by the anticipated change in leaves as the canopy above out street becomes golden. We considered moving into a community house this year, which would have been exciting and challenging and the fulfillment of a dream and discussion that has been going on for the past 5 years. However, in the midst of what has felt like a whirl wind of change over the past year, I am convinced that choosing to stay in our place has helped create a sense of stability in our lives that has helped us to live through difficult decisions, such as Amy's transition in jobs. 

Silas, started at Regent this fall. Amy, Silas and I are all HIST 681: Mapping Gender - a look at gender in the 19th century. This is a highlight of my experience at Regent thus far. The class is amazing and is only made more so with such great friends to engage in it with. Every Thursday feels like a party! 

September has been busy! Despite established routines and familiarity with school and Vancouver, I have been blessed with lots of video work this month which has presented a challenge as I work to keep up with my readings and assignments and shoot and edit videos. This is a good problem but a challenging one.

Since kindergarten there has only been one fall when I was not in school... The stimulation and excitement of intellectual engagement and education, being part of a learning community, is something I love and am nervous about leaving... This blog as previously described, born out of post graduation anxiety and underemployment is a touchstone and reminder that neither community nor learning end at graduation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment