Friday, October 5, 2012

Much to Gain

This month, as back to school season transitions to midterm season, I will celebrate my first year on the job. The first year of my career, and one of the longest seasons of my life outside the classroom.

Though my days as an undergraduate are over and I do not know when I will embark on further studies, at work, my learning curve is on the rise. I am learning to write funding applications and to form community partnerships. I am contributing information to an author about the history of interfaith work in Abbotsford. I am building a cross-sector professional network and meeting others in my field. I am managing multiple contracts, deliverables and evaluations. I am becoming a confident facilitator, speaker and presenter. I continue to learn about diversity, discrimination and anti-oppression work from my colleagues as well as from our program participants and volunteers.

I was a "green" hire, fresh out of college with no direct experience working for a non-profit or with government contracts. The manager of our department and my supervisor took a risk to have me on their team and I could not be more thankful.  I am learning through experience and under incredibly knowledgeable and generous people.

Cheers to sharing knowledge and experience with others, to life-long learning and another year of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment