Friday, September 28, 2012

Back to School, and Back to the Land



For the first time since kindergarten, I did not go back to school this September.  

It feels odd, but I think I like it.  It’s time for me to use the knowledge I acquired in university for something other than doing more university.   

Recently, I’ve come across the opportunity to lease farmland on Vancouver Island.  Three friends and I intend to farm it next year.  

Talk about an overwhelming launch into the real world!  It will be one of the biggest learning curves I have experienced in my life thus far.  I don’t feel like I learned nearly enough in school to go out and start my own farm!  But I think that’s what my professors meant when they told me that it wasn’t necessarily what we learn in class that is important, but learning how to learn.  So here I go: not enrolling in any university classes, but leasing some land, growing some food, and finding people to buy it.  That’s the plan, anyway.  

My favourite part of school was spending time with friends.  That’s why I feel capable of starting a farm, because I have three friends to work with.  My least favourite part of school was having to sit still for long periods of time.

So as far as I can tell, it will be the best educational experience I could ask for: learning heaps about plants and soil and ecological farm management with three friends and working outside.  Best school I could ever ask for.   

2 comments:

  1. I'm really quite excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fantastic and super exciting! You will have to keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete