Saturday, July 28, 2012

O Canada...


In light of the Olympics (wait, can I say that without being sued??), I thought I would show my Can-pride by posting my Top 5 Canadians.

5.  Michael Snow: The Everything-Artist.  I cannot help but hear his name now that cultured-me listens to CBC radio.  Also, his name even testifies to the land he lives in.  Plus, he went to Upper Canada College.  Seriously.  How much more Canadian can you get?
4.  Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah.  Need I say more? 
3.  Diana Krall: Making jazz even more beautiful with her sensual singing and articulate piano playing.  You go, girl (although I don’t really get the Elvis Costello thing…).
2.  David Suzuki: I have heard that it is a regular occurrence for Vancouverites to spot Mr. Suzuki (can I call you Dave?) on the bus around the city.  I have not yet had that pleasure and quite frankly feel a little ripped off.  I have much admiration for what he is doing to help educate us on how we all can live and make this world a more beautiful and sustainable place.  He’s also extremely adorable.



And the Ultimate Miss. Canada? 

1.  Margaret Atwood, of course.  There are countless reasons why Margaret Atwood is my favourite woman in the world.  These include the fact that she is a successful woman, an informed individual, a creative artist, and an intelligent thinker (all things I want to be when I grow up…).  Many people do not like her and I say that’s a crying shame (but then I would probably apologize afterwards).  My current recommendations for her are:
  • The Handmaid’s Tale (in fact, BBC radio has made an amazing dramatization of this on audiobook, that I highly recommend).
  •  Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature – This is a fantastic survey of Canadian literature.


I know I missed other awesome Canadians (sorry, Celine) so post your homage to them in the comments section.

1 comment: