Monday, July 16, 2012

6 Weeks: Part 1

So it's time for me to break the ice and write my first post. Let me start out by referencing something my roommate said to me today. He kindly pointed out that in just over 6 weeks from now, I will no longer be his roommate.

I am extremely excited!

You see, in six weeks I'll be packing up my belongings and moving to a city that is unfamiliar to me in order to continue my pursuit of an undergraduate degree. I've enrolled at University of Victoria where I hope to finish my degree in Political Science while pursuing a minor in Social Justice Studies.

It's not that I won't miss this place. I agonize over the idea of leaving this city prematurely. I feel as though I've just come to a place where I can start calling Vancouver home. I have a lovely community here who continue to teach me so much about the world, I live in the best house with the most amazing people, and I feel as if I've only begun to explore this place that I call home. But man, is it ever exciting to leave.

I've been putting off school for far too long now. When I finished my spring semester at community college and got a job in fundraising, it was only supposed to last the summer. I'm now in my second summer at this job and although I love the clients I work for and the people I work with, I need out of this job. It alone has been the biggest stress of my life as I have moved up and down that corporate ladder disguised as a tree full of hippies and good ideals. Not to mention the fact that a 40 hour work weeks get monotonous, stale, and utterly exhausting. Maybe I'm in the wrong job but at least in school my entire schedule changes every four months and with each change comes a change in focus.

I'm also very excited for a fresh start. I've been through a lot over the past few years and each time my life is faced with crisis, I've felt the urge to leave and start over somewhere new. I've done this in the past, it's how I ended up in BC in the first place. A combination of stagnancy, heart break, and wanderlust drew me to the west coast and it was here that I discovered new adventures, friends, and a whole wealth of knowledge and understanding of myself. I feel as though I've come to that place again. Victoria will be a chance for me to start afresh, meet new people, experience new things, and discover a whole lot more about myself and the world I live in.

How is this not one of the most exciting moments of my life?

Part 2 comes soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Greg! I am super excited to hear about how things go for you in Victoria!

    ReplyDelete