Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Birthday!


A literal blank page is before me as I first typed this post on my typewriter.  A blank page is kind of a metaphor for where I am at in life, too, perhaps.  So, I turn to my "Pocket Muse" book which provides ideas for writing (or life??).  Today's suggestion?  "Write about finally giving in."  What about finally giving up?  I have been learning a lot about myself in the recent months and in a sense, I am giving up on a few things in my life.  I feel like the experience is like being birthed: disorienting, terrifying, but also liberating.  This birthing is propelling me forward into a new kind of life, really.  Perhaps it will also parallel a life of infancy (continuing with the birthing metaphor) - where I don't understand the language and I struggle to make my body move in ways that will actually get me places.  But slowly, surely, I will get my footing and, stumbling, I will learn to walk and talk with increasing confidence.
I am curious to hear your stories where you have felt like you were coming out of a tight place (I can keep on going with this one...) and emerging (hopefully successfully) into a new and exciting world.  Happy birthday to me and to you!

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I think Elizabeth and have just come out that place. Last year we had no home, I had no job, and we were stressing out how to pay for a wedding with no job, on-top of all the normal stresses of getting married.
    For me it was a really tight place, because when I lost my job Liz and I both felt God was asking us to keep the wedding date we had set. This was really hard for me because I felt like somehow I had to be the provider. We couldn`t live off what Liz was making on itself. Six weeks before our wedding a church called from a place I did not apply. We were hired and within 4 weeks we switched all our plans to move to a city where is -40 in the winter and plus 40 in the summer. So in the span of 6 weeks, we married, moved across the country and started a new job in a city where we knew no one. All I have to say is God is very good, totally faithful and he does give us the desires of our hearts. Its tough at times but we both feel like we are where God wants us to be. We can live off of one income, and we just feel like we are emerging into a new season of life. Jere 29:5-7 sums up how we feel what we are to do here. and how he took us from a hard place into a place of blessing. `` Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. 6 Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. 7 But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,
    Thanks for sharing your experience and how you were able to navigate through your own anxious time. I love how life (God, actually) takes us to unexpected places and am looking forward to that happening in my own life as I am still (impatiently) awaiting his faithfulness in a few areas of life!

    ReplyDelete