Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Best Of Year One

Silas:
As I began to think about what I would choose as the “best of” regarding the blog, I came back stumped. Not because there was not any worthy pieces, rather there were far too many blogs that I deeply enjoyed.

Reflecting on what has all been posted on this blog in the last year I am floored. The range of topic we tackled, the new and old ideas we laid out, the offensive, the funny, and the forgettable, it was all here. I have a hard time comprehending how we accomplished what we did, and I do not even want to know how many cumulative hours the tree of us have spent writing, reading, and commenting (what else could I have done with that time??? I guess I will never know).

Readers, you make us excited. I know we (the authors) all keep an eye on the statistics running in the background, it is thrilling and puzzling to know how many people are stopping by to read, yet not always knowing whom? I want to say thanks to all you reading this, for reading it. I am always surprised when someone I least expect comes up and “confesses” they read our blog. What a thrill! Also a specific thanks to some of the dedicated readers who continue to interact with us and the ideas posted here, either through comments or conversation. Though not always pleasant at the time, the discussion have been valuable. To get biblical “as iron sharpens iron…”.

Our Favourite Posts by Danielle:
Canada Needs Economic Reform Too
- I love the force of this post. Sharp and to the point. Silas.
Mustache Tattoo Video
- Fantastic! There was serious discussion regarding Danielle actually getting this tattoo. I think we had someone lined up to do it for free... But alas cooler heads prevailed. Duncan.
"Is Monogamy Making Us Miserable?"
- This was one of our first Sh!t disturbers. I remember it ruffling feathers, therefore it has to make my top three. Silas.
How Do You Share Your Faith with Others? 
- This, I thought, was a brilliant, ironic and interesting reflection on the way we think about evangelism. Duncan.
Pejorative Pagan Piss Off
- Rounds out the top three. I think I really like Danielle's more provocative posts. Challenging me to think about things from alternative angles. Silas.
- Again the combination of poignance and irony make this one of my favourite posts. Duncan.


Our Favourite Posts by Duncan:
Talking to Trees
- Part of my love for this was eaves dropping on Duncan while he imagined this, before it came into reality. The other part of my love for this was watching Duncan become more passionate about place and trees.  Silas.
What is the Gospel?
- What a fun journey of disagreement that was! Shaking the pot hard, and I am not sure we have yet settled down from that disturbance. Silas.
No Parking Fire Lane
- We had a good time making it. Duncan did a good job putting it together, and now it will last as our reminder Olam-eternal (such is the intertubes) of our unemployment.  Silas.
- This is one of my favourite memories. I think we really captured/created something interesting and perhaps even important here.  Duncan.
Hidden and Revealed
- This was a really personal post. I'm still working through these ideas of place, family and identity. This is one of my favourite posts on these themes because the poetry turned out well. Duncan.
- This was a fun post and one that sparked probably the most discussion in my real life. :) Duncan.

Our Favourite Posts by Silas:
You and I By Gaga – My reading of this text
- I had fun writing this, enough said. Silas.
Stories Pt. 12, 3
- I know I am cheating because technically it was 3 posts, but it all runs together in my head. Silas.
- My favourite of the three was #2 with the Fire Chicken. But this was an excellent reflection on narrative and it importance, role and unique strengths. Duncan.
CYOA: Genesis 37-50 – The Egyptianization of Joseph
– Though this post might not be the most fun to read, but it was incredibly formative for me while writing it. With Joseph as a negative example I have been forced to rethink some to the themes of the patriarchs. In doing so I have found a faith that is more compatible to human experience, more relevant to everyday life, and altogether a more exciting story to join. Silas.
Harry Potter Hermeneutics
-The first of the Harry Potter heresy and I think also the best. My favourite part is Silas's claim to have learned scepticism through Harry Potter's unreliable narrator. Duncan.
The Wild Goose
- This image of God as a wild goose stopping by and playing in the mud with us has stuck with me all year. Duncan.
Allah and Compassion - I found great encouragement and hope in Silas' engagement in interfaith dialogue. Danielle. 

Collaborative Post:
CYOA: Timothy 2:1-15 - Egalitarianism!
- This was an invigorating discussion over a number of posts back in December 2011. It is our blog so we got the final word. Duncan.


Duncan:
This has been an interesting project and it has been good to go back and reflect on what we have written. Remembering is a very Biblical theme. It has been good to take time to remember and reflect on our journey. It is exciting to look back and watch Danielle transition from processing Africa to working toward positive communal change in the way we think, talk and act toward each other especially the 'other'. It is exciting to see Silas continue to explore and extrapolate ideas of empire and narrative into areas of faith, life and culture as well as make the transition from immersion in the academy toward integration of skiing and walking and reading and biking; gardening and harry potter and pop music. I feel like, for me, this year has hopefully been the beginning of rebuilding and defining ideas about place, identity, vocation and family. Along with Silas I echo my appreciation for your readership and participation as we journey out loud and online here at Smoke, Mirrors and Cigarettes.

Which posts from this last year were your favourite? And why?

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say thank you for continuing to write this blog. I have engaged in thought alongside you, and have been challenged with ideas and questions that you raise. I am amazed at the ability you have had to write thing in words that I cannot articulate; and am appreciative of your collective scholarly knowledge of things I only studied briefly.

    I look forward to continuing to read and think along with you.

    ReplyDelete