Thursday, April 19, 2012

Talking to Trees

I made a video for a class at Regent. It wound up being more pictures than video... I have come to think of film and video as a way of creating space - in particular intellectual, emotional and perhaps even spiritual space in which we can consider perspectives and ideas not easily accessible in other settings or through other mediums. It is my hope that this video creates space for you to consider the interconnection and intersections of life - specifically the human relationship the natural world and the paradoxes of life and death in which we exist.

This is good timing as a contribution to Silas's post  about cutbacks to the environmental review process...
Please watch in full screen.




Specifically this was an amazing project through which to be connected to my Grandma. She had previously edited together a series of found poems from Emily Carr's journal, which I reedited into the dialogue/narration of the film. As such it was an opportunity to explore the paradoxes and juxtaposition of life and death within my own family as well as the wider world.

When I was starting this project, I still felt very utilitarian in my approach to nature and the forest. I used the project to give meaning to going for a walk in the woods. Through my semester and also this project my ability to conceive of going on walks with a sense of play, adventure and anticipation of discovery has increased significantly. Where as, a few years ago I didn't understand why Emily Carr painted trees... I am beginning to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment