Monday, April 23, 2012

Where Am I From?

In one sense this is a simple question. I am from the lower mainland of BC - The Greater Vancouver Regional District. I was born in Surrey and have lived in the general vicinity of Vancouver my whole life except for a brief 3 month semester in Paisley, Scotland.

However, in another sense I find it difficult to answer the question. I am from my parents. Where are my parents from? This is another difficult question. My Dad was born in Vancouver but didn't grow up here. My Mom's family was from Victoria but she grew up out east. My dad's Parents have lived everywhere and move as if it were a hobby. My mom's parents are dead. But if my Grandma were alive she would be the one person who had history in BC, who was born and grew up here. Mostly it feels as if my family is really from both nowhere and everywhere and only very slightly from here.

There are two places that I feel connection to by memory. First, the house I grew up in on Applehill Crescent. Second, My grandparents house on 56th Ave, although not so much the house as the property: a half acre lot filled with trees and treasures my Opa had collected. They sold the property a couple of years ago and with it cut loose the last tethers of my childhood to the places I grew up.

I have been trying to escape Vancouver for 7 years. The farthest I really got was Abbotsford. People in Abbotsford are rooted in a way that I had not really experienced before. Families have been there, going to the same church for 3 or 4 generations. For them, Abbotsford is home in a way that for my family doesn't exist.

Do I have a home?

To a certain degree I, perhaps, feel most at home on the road. Travelling.

I watched a show called "The Riches" about a family of Irish American gypsies that are grifters by trade until they wind up stealing some identities and settling down in the biggest "con" of all - living the American dream. It is an amazing series that didn't survive the writers strike and as such ends on a cliffhanger. They struggle as a family to stay put. I struggle to stay put. I struggle to settle. Apparently its in my blood.

I am often uncertain if I am running away from something or toward something... and how to tell the difference.

While I grew up here, my Dad couldn't shake his travelling roots entirely and so vacations were almost always adventures to new places. I didn't understand people that went to the same place year after year... It seemed so incredibly dull.

But now as I think about it again there is a depth of connection that occurs, is created, is built - a relationship between person and land that develops over time. A relationship... I recognize in others and recognize the absence of it in myself.

I have no land. I have no home.

Amy's family is more settled than mine. My sister's husband's family is very rooted locally. I think this is perhaps part of the reason my parents gravitate toward them. Land exerts a certain gravity even relationally.

How can I be human without land?
Where is my garden?
What land is God leading me to?
Where shall I plant vines?

How do you feel connected or disconnected from land/nature?
Is your life rooted in a particular place?
How do you think that effects you?

4 comments:

  1. Jesus Christ is the AntiChrist

    LOL music video @ YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGJXo8gshg
    )))((((((
    (*)...(*)
    ....U....
    .[____].---{Too cool, daddy-o}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would have made more sense on the Superstar post. I feel like mostly we just got spammed...
      I watched your video. And other than being a really bad video with barely coherent lyrics, its a genuinely disappointing and inaccurate caricature of the Jesus presented in scripture. On the flip side the picture of the pope with Hitler etc. highlight the reality that the church has too often in history colluded with political power rather than avoided or opposed it as Jesus did.

      Furthermore, you refrain "Jesus Christ, AntiChrist" isn't really meaningful since your condemnation is basically defined by your subject making the whole statement circular and ridiculous.

      Also at the end of the day the only people that agree with your extremely strong sense of morality... ie "dice" are conservative Christians and even they have warmed up to Vegas. But they will obviously hate your video.
      So I am uncertain about your goal or intended audience.

      Also a note for future comments:
      This will be the last off topic comment that includes a link that will remain on the blog. All future spam comments of this sort will be deleted.

      Delete
  2. I love the ocean man. To me the ocean connects me to God in a huge way. It's calm yet full powerful, full of life and wonder. The ocean reminds me o God character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan,
      I resonate with this. I also love the ocean and the experience of surfing remains a meaningful spiritual metaphor for me... But I think it is interesting to contemplate this further... Isn't interesting that the location/image of fear and chaos in the Old Testament is a place we now love and find a sense of place and home? Does my very resonance and connection with the ocean further articulate and enflesh my disconnection with the land and earth. I am literally not "grounded" in a place but floating disconnected from the earth... It is fascinating how our contemporary sense of love and wonder at nature has shifted very distinctly via the romantics from pastures and gardens to the power and chaos of oceans, craggy mountains and thick jungles... There are a variety of reflections to be made on this transition and our experience of course... Does this transition occur with advent of industrial farming? Have we left the garden? destroyed the garden? been kicked out? or are looking for it? Anyway, I am sad for you that the ocean is now so far away... but perhaps God will give you a fresh vision of his presence and your place within creation on the praries... Cheers.

      Delete