Sunday, June 17, 2012

Business as Un-usual

A few weeks ago, I entered the business world. I attended the Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce Luncheon for work. I was there on behalf of a colleague to promote our newest development initiative. The luncheon was a networking opportunity for Abbotsford bussiness and community leaders to make connections. So, with a hand written name tag stuck on my well-pressed shirt, I donned my most welcoming smile and tried my best to act like I belonged in the same room as the Mayor and Chief of Police and Chamber Directors.

When I was in 11th grade, one of my older friends started a degree in Commerce, and I distinctly remember asking for a definition of the the term. The epiphany of time that has passed, and passing from school to workforce struck me anew. I was shocked to see the president of the college from which I graduated in attendance as well, and by his expression I could guess that he was equally as allarmed at my rapid transformation from text books and hoodies to business and blazers. Though I was distinctly aware of my youth in a room seasoned with knowledge, experience and decades of acquaintance, I could feel myself growing older.

I was in a place that I never expected any job to take me, precisely because my primary dream for life, since youth, was to be a missionary in the most traditional sense of the term. Though the dreams of wearing oversized tie-dyed dresses, speaking a near-extinct language and living in a mud-hut village have passed, I have not developed a new dream career path. At this luncheon, I thought to myself - this is a good place to be, among influential community members shaping our society for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment