Thursday, June 14, 2012

Actors, Pastors and Lawyers...

I feel like the title of this post sounds like the beginning of a joke... If you know how its goes or come up with one please write in the comments.

An actor, a pastor, a lawyer and an advertising executive walk into a bar. The Bartender asks, "What brings you fine gentlemen in here today. The actor says, "I have lived perfection on stage how can I face reality sober?" The pastor says, "Jesus said, "This wine is my blood. Drink in remembrance of me." The Lawyer says, "The whole world hates me because I do a good job defending criminals... I'll have your finest scotch." The Ad exec says, "I'm meeting a client."

The Bartender says, "Ah yes my friends. Thats the life... Stand on a stage, tell your stories, tell people what they need, what the want, who they are, play with their guilt, the speech, the song, the dance, the money, the ceremony and of course, my specialty, the drinks. Yes my friends you are all living the dream."

Not sure if its enough of a punch line... but the inspiration for the post is the similarity between actors, lawyers, and pastors, and the not uncommon overlap of careers. Anecdotally, I know of at least 10 people that fit into at least 2 of these categories and have heard finding people who are/have been all three is not as horrifyingly uncommon as it might first seem. All three professions at their best are passionate about truth, both the discovering and presentation of truth. Two of them are explicitly concerned with the theme of justice and certainly this theme is not uncommon in the arts community. Two of them likely pay terribly and one probably pays well. There are elements of performance in all three jobs.

I was extensively involved in theatre through elementary and high school. In fact school plays are easily my favourite memories of school. I have been regularly accused of lawyering by particularly my mother as we discuss or debate various topics or family issues. I have of course most recently graduated from a Biblical studies program during which I also did a pastoral internship.

So... anyone want to take the LSAT?


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I was just talking today with my coworker about possibly doing an LSAT. Weird

    ReplyDelete