Friday, November 30, 2012

My 2012 According to Instagram

Silas, Kelsey, Danielle and Amy all chilling on a really old bridge.
So it's that time of year when nobody has time to write blog posts because we're writing papers, studying for exams, getting ready for the holidays, out skiing, doing whatever it is that prevents us from blogging. My excuse, anything school related.

But no more excuses.

It also happens to be that time of year when all your favorite blogs prove how hip they are by posting things that were culturally relevant to the year just had. And because I'm sick of doing homework, I thought I would post something fun that is definitely culturally relevant to 2012 - Instagram. I understand that Instagram isn't a 2012 thing, (I've been using Instagram since October 2011, and I was late on the scene) but I would argue that 2012 is the year that it really caught on. For those of you who don't know what Instagram is, go to your neighborhood hipster hangout, wait for them to order their food and then observe the amount of iPhones being used to take pictures. This pictures will be edited to make their food look like vintage food, and then shared on the world wide web. Today Instagram is used for everything... literally everything. From maintaining hipster cred, to photojournalism.
Yep, I'm guilty of it too. But in all fairness, I make EXCELLENT perogies. Ask Silas
So without further ado, I present to you 20 (additional) Instagram photos that not only characterize important and fun moments of my 2012, but also out me as a total nerd hipster with no hopes of hiding it.

Pancake Tuesday is not a new thing, but a delicious thing. This years highlight was the banana-rum-chocolate-chip pancakes.

Adventure Time, also not a 2012 thing. That being said, it's the year I really got into it. Haven't watched it yet? You should!

Although started in 2011, the majority of the work done on my tattoo was done in 2012. If your on the lower mainland, check out Caleb's work at Capstone Tattoo.

Every Easter, I go on a hiking trip with a bunch of lovely folks. This year we hiked along the Olympic Peninsula in Washington.

This summer was characterized by many afternoons spent at Trout Lake where we would do all sorts of things the East Van hippies do, like hula-hoop, slack-line, play instruments, and sneakily drink beers in public. Don't tell anyone.

This album will end up on my "Best Albums of 2012" list. Listen to Zammuto.

My Vancouver roommates got me really into gaming this year. Small World is by far one of the most fun and dynamic games I have ever played.

This is on our way to Bowen Island to do some hiking. BC Ferries has become a huge part of my life ever since I moved to Victoria. I'm always blown away by the natural beauty that accompanies these trips.

Tash turned 20. If you know Tash, you know this is a big deal.

I used to live in this place called the Matador. It's a magical place that more resembles a community center than a place where people live (then again, I like the idea of living in community centers). Needless to say, we were horrible at cutting the lawn and the city threatened to fine us $4000 for having grass over 3 feet tall. We caved and bought a lawn mower. I was so proud, I had to Instagram it.

2012 is the year I that I tried my hand at modeling. The straightened my hair beyond what I thought was naturally possible. The show was the launch of my friends' company that fixes and recycles used clothing. Check out Rise Upcycling.

2012 is the year that Creemore Springs started showing up in Vancouver. It's a beer from home (middle of nowhere Ontario) and definitely worth checking out.

I threw a big ole Party at the Matador called Summer Fest at the Matador. We had over 20 bands play from 1am-1pm... and zero cops. I'm a big fan of DIY, and Jamison Troy who is pictured here making sweet sweet tunes.

This summer, I was invited to play with the kids band Go Go Bonkers at the festival Arts Wells. The festival takes place in the secluded town of Wells BC where the entire town is taken over for the weekend by music and art.  This is the coolest folk festival around and one of my highlights for the summer.

2012 was the year for forts. Here's one we made in our back yard.

Some friends and I drank some "mind enhancer" tea and then proceeded to find a news paper from the 1940s hidden between the walls of the house. The result was having our "enhanced minds" blown.

I built a bike! Not much to say about that other than I'm super proud of myself.

In September, I put all of my things in the back of my friends truck and moved to Victoria to finish my undergrad. Here is all my stuff, literally.

Then I was in Victoria, which happens to be quite the beautiful place!

This picture is from a massive demonstration against the proposed pipelines that would carry diluted bitumen to our coast. Read what I have to say about it here.
And there you have my year in Instagram pictures. I hope to have more 2012 lists for you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment