Friday, December 30, 2011

Celebrating Diversity at Christmas

Christmas was not the sole focus of my holiday season this year. In the past months I have been learning about the celebrations of other people in the community and in my family.
In the month of December, the agency I work for encouraged each office to show their holiday spirit by decorating their doors. Many doors appeared covered in wrapping paper. Some were decorated as trees or snowmen. But the door to the Diversity Education and Resource Services office (where I work) was transformed into a holiday greeting card, decorated with symbols and pictures representing the various holy days celebrated by various faith groups throughout the winter months. We celebrated diversity.


One morning this month, upon arrival at the office, I found a decorated gingerbread cookie on my co-worker’s desk. It was left over from the previous evening’s LGBTQ youth gathering. It reminded me that celebrating the season, especially with family, can be difficult when you do not fit the cookie cutter mold.

This season I have been part of a planning committee for a Bridges of Faith event which is taking place in January 2012. I have had the privilege of meeting with Pagans, Muslims, Hindus, as well as people who ascribe to no specific faith tradition to plan an event where we strive to learn about one another in order to help create a more welcoming and inclusive community. We have learned much in the process and together we have celebrated our differences and our similarities.
A few days before Christmas, I was surprised with an email from my Jewish uncle, with whom I was planing to visit on Christmas day. It said, “Bone up on your Chanukah blessings. You are going to light the Chanukah candles when you are here. Hope you don't mind. PS: it isn't a big deal.” Of course I was thrilled at the opportunity to use Hebrew and I began practicing immediately. Barukh atah Adonai … It ended up going very well. I did’t drop the Shamash or light anything on fire.
Celebrating diversity this season has deepened my love for all people and fostered a truer Christmas spirit in me.

Maybe the 2012 slogan will be "celebrate diversity".

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome post! Great photo! Post a pic from the Chanukah visit with your uncle!

    What is it like for you when people from different faiths invite you to something in their faith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I thought this was really, really cool
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2012/01/05/cfp-clancy-do-something-now.cnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danica. I am sorry but I didn't take any pictures with my uncle this time around.

    I feel honoured when people of different faiths invite me to something in their faith because I think it is a privilege to learn about things that have significant meaning to others. Often I find it most comfortable to observe what others are doing and to ask questions as appropriate. When I come to an understanding of the practice or service, then I will decide to whether or not to participate in some way or another.

    Thanks for the video Dan. It looks pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete